Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jesse has attached these 4 pictures. The message is below.
Brroooooook Trout!
Bill Tegethoff doing work!
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Nov 30, 2011November 30th, 2011, 12:51 pm EST
Some scenery shots from varies rivers for you guys to enjoy!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Nov 30, 2011November 30th, 2011, 3:40 pm EST
Jess,

It's always good to see you are hitting the books up there at the university...:) I'll sleep better tonight son knowing you are putting those tuition dollars to such good work...

Thanks for the eye candy, Jess!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Goose
Goose on Dec 1, 2011December 1st, 2011, 4:54 am EST
hey Jess, great photos. do you go to a trout university?
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Dec 1, 2011December 1st, 2011, 5:10 am EST
do you go to a trout university?

No Goose...He just plays hooky from the university just about every chance he gets...:) I'll bet his biology text-book's sitting in the back set of his fishing-wagon and he has told himself that he would squeeze some studying in somehow when he's not fishing and it's buried now under dirty wet cloths and fishing tackle...:)

Spence

He's just working on that PhD in Brown Trout studies...;) Ahhh...To be young again!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Dec 1, 2011December 1st, 2011, 5:32 am EST
Hahaha ohhhhh brother, Goose, yeah you could say that im going to a trout university ah! And Spence, once again no comment my man, good to hear from you though im glad you enjoy the shots!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Dec 1, 2011December 1st, 2011, 6:47 am EST
And Spence, once again no comment my man

Jess,

You do know, don't you, that once your "schooling" is complete in Montana, your final exam's on the Au Sable...The big old Browns there like to rest in places that will try your casting skills...Seldom are they in the open.

:)

By-the-way...That last photo is beautiful! That looks like a spot worthy of wasting the day in.

Spence

Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Dec 1, 2011December 1st, 2011, 9:20 am EST
Spence,

I thought we established in another thread that Jess has serious girlfriends all over the country who's dads have exclusive trout waters tied up. It's not much of a stretch to assume he's got a cutie or two monitoring classes for him and tutoring him for the tests. I doubt he has to worry about biology books getting lost in his kit. Is that one of the dads in the photo? Hmm?

Jess - Sorry, but I have to admit I enjoy teaming up with Spence to harangue you a little. It's what us young guys do to even younger guys like yourself we happen to think might amount to something.:) I was called "kid" by a few well into my 40's and they were world champion harassers in between grudging compliments. They don't call me that anymore, but I sure wish they did, 'cause it'ed mean they were still here with us....

BTW - Is that the Big Hole?

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Dec 1, 2011December 1st, 2011, 4:19 pm EST
Nice photos and nice fish there, Jesse! I especially like that big fat cutthroat with the bright orange marks. I'm missing my summer trout waters right now - got two pairs of leaking waders, getting over a cold, and it's COLD outside...but, I am starting a new project, a 55-gallon aquarium with small fishies from the lower Au Sable, caught by minnow traps. This way I'll at least have some fish to LOOK AT this winter.

Jonathon

P.S. Don't mind Kurt & Spence, they're just jealous you get to go fishing so often and catch such nice ones...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Dec 2, 2011December 2nd, 2011, 8:41 pm EST
Kurt i can only wish that i had multiple beautiful ladies all over the country with well set fathers that own their own private waters..oh wouldn't that be nice hahaha!

Spence i barely have any school left, and soon i will be making my move to the northeast and slaying all over the northern rivers. And the Au Sable is definitely on the priority list. Your just going to have to point the noses out and from there i will gladly do the rest of the work.

Jonathon don't worry i know they are ahaha, and thanks for the compliments!
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Dec 2, 2011December 2nd, 2011, 8:43 pm EST
Oh and Kurt, im all of a sudden having a slight memory loss as to where the shots were taken...damn! ;)
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Dec 3, 2011December 3rd, 2011, 1:00 am EST
Uh Huh... That's not supposed to happen until much later in life.

(He's learning , Spence)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Dec 3, 2011December 3rd, 2011, 5:23 pm EST
hahah....
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Dec 4, 2011December 4th, 2011, 5:49 am EST
Uh Huh... That's not supposed to happen until much later in life.

(He's learning , Spence)

Kurt...I think he's been reading your posts and remembers you threatening your nephew if he ever spilled the beans on a cherished fishing hole. :) "What were those coordinates again? I'll just enter them here in my new GPS unit." :)

Jess...The mighty Au Sable awaits! :)
Spence i barely have any school left
That may be kid, but the learning never ends...If you're lucky. :) I have been storing notes and observations on that river for decades now, yet sometimes the river makes me think I wasn't really paying attention or I was a sleep during the lecture...;)

Spence

Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Dec 4, 2011December 4th, 2011, 3:25 pm EST
Theres not a day on the water or a fishing trip that i don't have notes for, great way to keep track! And sleeping during lecture comes at a regular basis for me now ha.

Quick Reply