Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Al514 has attached these 2 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Jun 18, 2007June 18th, 2007, 3:43 pm EDT
these covered the water tonight. what does everyone think?
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jun 18, 2007June 18th, 2007, 3:56 pm EDT
My wild guess would be an Epeorus spinner.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 18, 2007June 18th, 2007, 4:10 pm EDT
I don't think it's Epeorus, because the eyes would be closer together in that genus. It's certainly in the Heptageniidae family, but I wouldn't be able to really narrow it down beyond that.

It would help if you've got a picture showing the entire fore legs.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Jun 18, 2007June 18th, 2007, 5:45 pm EDT
yeah to what troutnut said

could be Rhithrogena, based on wing venation (anastomies), abdomen color (generally reddish, but I'm not sure about some of the markings) and femoral maculation (median dark blotch)

the dark wing veins are reminiscient of some other genus, perhaps, but I'm drawing a blank at this hour when my mind is numb...take what I say with a grain of salt however

Quick Reply