Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jonsecrist
northern Virginia

Jonsecrist on Jan 18, 2011January 18th, 2011, 4:43 pm EST
Any one have any info on pine CREEK pa, between April and June. What kind of bugs one can expect. I mean I know what bugs, but I'm looking for personal experience, and What patterns work well.
Scott g2
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Jan 19, 2011January 19th, 2011, 1:53 pm EST
March browns in a lighter sandy-sort-of color, muskrat nymphs, green drakes.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Jonsecrist
northern Virginia

Jonsecrist on Jan 20, 2011January 20th, 2011, 1:07 am EST
Hay thanks man.
Scott g2
SlateDrake9
Potter County, PA

SlateDrake9 on Jan 20, 2011January 20th, 2011, 1:56 pm EST
Which Pine Creek are you talking about? The one I live on or the other one?
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.
-- Slate Drake
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Jan 21, 2011January 21st, 2011, 1:40 am EST
TOP WATER FROGS baby!!!!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Jonsecrist
northern Virginia

Jonsecrist on Jan 21, 2011January 21st, 2011, 11:08 am EST
Potter county
Scott g2
SlateDrake9
Potter County, PA

SlateDrake9 on Jan 23, 2011January 23rd, 2011, 2:10 pm EST
Definately top water frogs.
-- Slate Drake
Jonsecrist
northern Virginia

Jonsecrist on Jan 24, 2011January 24th, 2011, 1:15 am EST
Top water frogs,seriously.if so what patterns.unless your joking
Scott g2
SlateDrake9
Potter County, PA

SlateDrake9 on Jan 24, 2011January 24th, 2011, 3:50 pm EST
Dark tan mottled back with pale white/gray belly.
-- Slate Drake

Quick Reply