Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Mayfly47
ilion ny

Mayfly47 on Mar 27, 2014March 27th, 2014, 6:09 am EDT
just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Charlie. looking forward to meeting you guys and talking about fly fishing. I started fly fishing in 1959 and still crazy about it. I grew up on pine creek in penn but in have lived in ny for the last 30 years.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 27, 2014March 27th, 2014, 7:57 am EDT
Hi Charlie,

Welcome to Troutnut. Great bunch of guys here to chat to about fly fishing or bugs. Where do you live in NY? Are you anywhere close to the Delaware River?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Mayfly47
ilion ny

Mayfly47 on Mar 27, 2014March 27th, 2014, 9:14 am EDT
hi wbranch, thanks for the welcome. I live about hour and a half north of the Delaware but I've been there a few times. I live in small town called ilion, its the home of Remington arms. I do most of my fishing on the west Canada creek and the black river. both are great trout fishing, mostly browns. the west Canada has a trophy section five or six miles long and I have taken a lot of slammers there. im planning a trip to pa this summer to fish pine creek and hope to make it to big kettle creek for a day or two. how about you, were do you do most of your fishing?
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 27, 2014March 27th, 2014, 10:22 am EDT
I do most of my fishing on the west Canada creek

I know a fellow named Artie Loomis who also fishes West Canada Creek and has caught some very nice browns there. I need to make a trip thee someday in 2014. I mostly fish the West Branch of the Delaware as well as the main stem and the East Branch of the Delaware'

I live in PA and just wanted to mention that both Pine Creek and Big Kettle Creek are primarily stocked trout with very little naturally appearing wild fish. Also both warm up quite quickly once the air temperatures start to rise.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Mar 28, 2014March 28th, 2014, 3:55 am EDT
Hey Charlie, check your private messages.
Mayfly47
ilion ny

Mayfly47 on Mar 28, 2014March 28th, 2014, 5:00 am EDT
hi artie, last summer all the hatches were a little later them normal do high cold water. but all and all it was a good season for me. I fished mostly with nymphs through april, may, june and did very well. looking forward to a good summer. hope to meet you on the river sometime. tight lines.
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Mar 28, 2014March 28th, 2014, 11:21 am EDT
Welcome, Charlie!

I was all of 5 years old in '59 so you've got some experience behind you...but its guys like you who encourage 'kids' like me to better themselves.
We're all crazy about fly-fishing, no matter how or when we started though.

tight lines, and keep posting stuff...its all good!

Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 28, 2014March 28th, 2014, 5:33 pm EDT
Hey Roguerat...You and I born in 54? Great year. :)

Welcome Charlie...Come on in, the waters fine. :) I think we can handle at least one more once-upon-a-time PA Boy on this site. The place is crawling with them. :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply