Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Feb 29, 2016February 29th, 2016, 6:05 am EST
I am starting to plan a trip to Slough Creek for this summer. Regardless of whether it works out or not, I want to start tying flies for the trip since I will go at some point if not this summer. If you are willing to share, what are your favorite emerger, dun and spinner patterns for PMDs and green drakes?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 29, 2016February 29th, 2016, 12:29 pm EST
Kyle, Didn't I give you a bunch of PMD recipes a couple of years ago when you fished the Missouri?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 29, 2016February 29th, 2016, 12:38 pm EST
I really don't think those Slough Creek trout are going to be that fussy about patterns. I'd tie, or buy, some #16 Yellow Humpy's, tie an assortment of BH PT nymphs in #14 & #16, some typical emergers; #16 light wire scud hooks, tail a couple wood duck fibers over which you tie some crinkly brown z-lon, abdomen - wind PT tail fibers and counter wrap with X fine gold wire, Thorax light yellow beaver, wing light dun CDC tied in short.

Oh, I forgot, tie some #14 & #16 rusty spinners with either X-wing hackle from Gary Borger's "Designing Trout Flies", or poly wing spinners.

Here is one variation; the tail are brown turkey fibers (so the ass end will sink) the wing is natural dark dun instead of the light dun. All CDC is not created equal! Most of the packaged CDC at fly shops is just scraps and junk. You are lucky to get a few decent, not great, feathers out of a package. I buy all my CDC from one source and imo I is the best. Trouthunter in Last Chance, ID. They have two or three natural color and a few dyed colors. It comes in a small package and in large, 1/4 ounce, bag. I always buy the large bag and I thin it costs $17.50. It is really worth it as most every feather is very good. The barbules are very dense.

http://www.shop.trouthunt.com/

Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Mar 1, 2016March 1st, 2016, 4:02 am EST
Yes you did, Matt! I just found the email. Thank you! I love that PMD emerger. What kind of turkey feather do you use for the tail? Sorry, I'm still a novice at this.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 1, 2016March 1st, 2016, 9:00 am EST
Kyle,

They are called secondary tail feathers. They are the shorter feathers closer to the turkey's rump. If you look close you will see a horizontal black band across each secondary. I just use a clump of the fiber tips 4-6. I like them better than the tips of pheasant tails as they have more body.

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 1, 2016March 1st, 2016, 12:50 pm EST
Daffodils! Green grass! Aaaaah, Spring!!

Sorry, snow is coming down sideways again...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply