Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 23, 2014June 23rd, 2014, 11:23 pm EDT
Caddisfly Species Distribution Maps are now available for each caddisfly species which has been recorded in a USA state or CAN province.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Jun 24, 2014June 24th, 2014, 9:01 am EDT
Roger - Thanks - This will be useful. Have you added records since the Natureserve 2013 update?

dave
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 24, 2014June 24th, 2014, 2:04 pm EDT
Dave-

Have you added records since the Natureserve 2013 update?

Yes, I was provided with a full extract on 5/5/2014. It included numerous new species and distributions for the 2014 update, which had not yet been added to the production 2013 database, although they likely have been by now.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Jun 24, 2014June 24th, 2014, 2:41 pm EDT
Great - thanks alot.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jun 26, 2014June 26th, 2014, 4:15 am EDT
Great stuff, Roger! A big thank you as well from Michigan.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 26, 2014June 26th, 2014, 9:54 am EDT
Dave & Spence-

You are certainly welcome.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jun 26, 2014June 26th, 2014, 3:41 pm EDT
Roger,

Now we only need a couple really good pictures of every bug...Could you arrange this? :) Preferably from the bottom, the trouts view, please.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 26, 2014June 26th, 2014, 9:53 pm EDT
Hi Spence-

Now we only need a couple really good pictures of every bug...Could you arrange this? :) Preferably from the bottom, the trouts view, please.

Although you obviously asked this question (largely) in rhetorical jest, the answer is probably worth providing, if not for you, at least to educate others who may read this thread.

The answer is no, because the vast majority of caddisfly photos are not identified below genus level. Why is this, one may ask? It is because a macro photo of a caddisfly is rarely adequate for species level identification. In most cases, it is necessary for a caddisfly expert (like Dave Ruiter) to perform a microscopic examination of a preserved specimen for species level identification.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck

Quick Reply