Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Female Psychoglypha alascensis (Limnephilidae) (Snow Sedge) Caddisfly Adult from Mystery Creek #178 in Idaho
This specimen was 22 mm.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Sep 23, 2013September 23rd, 2013, 12:54 am EDT
There were enough of these flitting around in the evening to keep the fish looking up. Anglers can easily confuse these with Dicosmoecus species (October Caddis) at this time of year, but their wings are quite different and they like gentler flows.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Sep 23, 2013September 23rd, 2013, 9:36 am EDT
Really nice pics Kurt! 22mm! Sweet.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Sep 23, 2013September 23rd, 2013, 1:03 pm EDT
Hi Kurt-

Given the presence of (5) Psychoglypha species in Idaho, I am both surprised and impressed that you were able to identify this one as Psychoglypha alascensis. Do you have access to Psychoglypha adult keys, which you have not chosen to share with me?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Sep 23, 2013September 23rd, 2013, 3:41 pm EDT
Thanks, Spence.

Hi Roger - Nah, I would never hold out on you!:) I came to this primarily through distribution records and the descriptive differences of the two common species known for the panhandle. The lack of black spots on the last seg together with the lack of a red stigma on a more severely scalloped hind wing fits nicely with local descriptions of alascensis as opposed to your specimens that are more consistent with the descriptions of the other species, subborealis. See this link: http://www.bugsunlimited.us/key/trichoptera/limnephilidae/psychoglypha_subborealis.html

As usual, I reserve the right to be completely wrong.:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Sep 23, 2013September 23rd, 2013, 4:06 pm EDT
As usual, I reserve the right to be completely wrong.:)

Okay. Incidentally, there's a new id request on my forum for you. Thanks.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Sep 23, 2013September 23rd, 2013, 5:12 pm EDT
Yes, I noticed. I'm on it.

BTW - I find AIOC very handy, too. You have to sort out all the nomenclature changes since its publication, but it does have Denning's species keys in it.
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Sep 24, 2013September 24th, 2013, 12:07 am EDT
Spence -

A species in this genus lives in your neck of the woods. Have you ever run across it?
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Sep 24, 2013September 24th, 2013, 4:29 pm EDT
Kurt,

I can't say I have...It's general appearance, in your photo, is similar to our "Autumn Mottled Sedge", Neophylax fuscus or concinnus...The size is way off with Neophylax running from 9-12mm.

It would seem that something running 22mm would be noticed. By me and the fish. :)

We do have the "Great Brown Autumn Sedge" Pycnopsyche that are listed as running up to 22mm. I can't say I've seen one of these either.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Sep 24, 2013September 24th, 2013, 5:51 pm EDT
It doesn't show in the picture well but this critter has a thin silver horizontal stripe running down the middle of its wing. It is very obvious in the hand and definitely its most striking character. Hence, the common name Silver Stripe Sedge (usually used for another genus) may be applied to it by some.

Sorry for not pointing out this significant character before... Is it any help?
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Sep 25, 2013September 25th, 2013, 2:46 am EDT
There were enough of these flitting around in the evening to keep the fish looking up. Anglers can easily confuse these with Dicosmoecus species (October Caddis) at this time of year, but their wings are quite different and they like gentler flows.

What size is that? I saw something that looked very similar this past Sunday while hiking near the Frankstown Branch of the Juniata River (Central, PA). I caught one and it appeared to be a size 16 or 18.
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Sep 25, 2013September 25th, 2013, 5:12 pm EDT
Hi Bruce,

Ah! It just so happens I've been tying them today. Giving a size for these big boys is tough because it depends on the style of fly and hook you choose. They flit about so much that I prefer a fly that can move without getting too bogged down (like most palmer hackles do). I also don't like the stiff wing to go too far past the bend for hooking purposes. Complicating matters, their bodies are also much shorter than their wings. Here's my solution. They're tied on 2X long dry fly hooks in sizes 6 to 10:

Skittering October Caddis #8

Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Sep 25, 2013September 25th, 2013, 6:30 pm EDT
Nice Kurt! I'd love to watch you float one of these when they are about. I bet they smack it...hard!

Spence

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Sep 25, 2013September 25th, 2013, 6:52 pm EDT
Very nice flies, Kurt. The antennae are a nice touch! I would love to see some of the naturals around here - hatches are getting thin but I am still seeing a few caddisflies (mostly Nectopsyche but some occasional small gray species as well) and even the odd mayfly or two every now and then.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Sep 25, 2013September 25th, 2013, 10:32 pm EDT
Thanks, guys.

Yeah they do slam 'em, Spence. This is the time of year when the big boys will slash away even without a hatch. They are looking up all day. Going to the St. Joe tomorrow to cast a few.
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Sep 26, 2013September 26th, 2013, 5:06 am EDT
Nice tie there Kurt! Have a good day!

Quick Reply