Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Rubinm01
new jersey

Rubinm01 on Feb 2, 2009February 2nd, 2009, 4:11 am EST
I am intersted in studying the aquatic insects associated with fly fishing. The one question I have is....do they bite (or sting)?
Can you handle them bare handed?

I know, I am a whimp.
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Feb 2, 2009February 2nd, 2009, 8:28 am EST
I know, I am a whimp.

Here is a site you can scroll thru quickly. Pay particular attention to the section below Hemiptera and below Megaloptera & Neuroptera.

I can Bite
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Feb 2, 2009February 2nd, 2009, 9:12 am EST
I’ll never forget the time I felt something crawling up the back of my neck. I reached around with my right hand and plucked it off between my fingers. I brought it around to examine it and nearly $#IT. It was a HUGE Dobsonfly. And to top it off it was after dark.

Or the time I was approached by a Game Warden on Colorado’s Blue River. What I believe was a Pteronarcys californica, landed on his ear. When he plucked the thing off and looked at it -------- he nearly $#IT.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Feb 2, 2009February 2nd, 2009, 9:45 am EST
When I read the lead post on this thread, I immediately thought of hellgrammites. And as I paged down, I see they also crossed Falsifly's mind.

Once when fishing live hellgrammites for smallmouth as a kid, I caught a small rock bass who was hooked by the insect's pincers and was nowhere near the hook point.

So, while most FF related bugs are more like Ghandi than Ghengis, hellgrammites are or can be an exception...
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Feb 3, 2009February 3rd, 2009, 2:21 am EST
I'm with you two guys (good company ) that's what I thought of, when they pinch ,you move pretty fast. And yea it's always very dark.

JaD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Rubinm01
new jersey

Rubinm01 on Feb 5, 2009February 5th, 2009, 7:35 am EST
Thanks for your replies. I'll be careful when I handle the "little buggers".

Quick Reply