Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionMontana
Specific Location Flowing water
Dates FishedJuly 18 - July 27
Time of DayEarly afternoon
Fish CaughtAbout 100 wild fish from 15" - 23.5"
Conditions & HatchesPMD's, tan caddis, some Tricos.

Details and Discussion

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Sep 29, 2009September 29th, 2009, 12:47 am EDT
Very good fishing the first four days, then it got tougher and tougher. I think the second day my buddy and I landed close to fifty fish 17" - 22" all on dries.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Sep 30, 2009September 30th, 2009, 7:23 am EDT
W Branch,

You have some very nice photos for the den there! They remind me of a trip I made to Montana in 1995 where the fishing was so good I swore to myself I'd be back every year. Here it is 2009 and I've only made it back once in 2004. I'm just a poor "wage-slave" these days instead of a troutbum.

That last photo really brought back some memories of a couple nights on the Madison near the $3.00 Bridge.

I had booked, about a year in advance, a day on Armstrongs. I was sitting on the bank on the Madison trying to get myself to drive back to Ennis so I could get up early the next day for the drive over by Livingston.

I had a wonderful day of fishing and as it started to head towards evening I looked up and just above the shrubs along the bank there was a cloud of Caddis flying around. Then they moved out over the river and then a few started to leave the cloud of bugs and land for a bit on the water. A few short moments later there were wonderful rolling rises everywhere.

I remembered what a friend had told me before I left for out-west, "Don't leave fish for fish." I said to myself that sleep really didn't matter, I had come here to fish to rising trout and they were rising, and stayed and fished through till they stopped feeding, headed back to Ennis with a smile on my face, dreaming of how nice it was going to be at Armstrongs the next day.

It is truely hard to beat fishing out there as your photos attest!

Way to educate some fish!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Sep 30, 2009September 30th, 2009, 12:26 pm EDT
Sweet pictures, Matt. Im heading out that way next summer and seeing these pictures just got me dying to get out there!
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Oct 6, 2009October 6th, 2009, 5:12 am EDT
Wow.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply