Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionCentral New York
Specific LocationNine mile creek Marcellus, New York
Dates FishedMay 17 2015
Time of DayEarly morning
Fish Caught5 Brown trout
Conditions & HatchesWater high and murky

Details and Discussion

Darcfly
Darcfly on May 19, 2015May 19th, 2015, 4:31 pm EDT
I am new to the forum and have only been fly fishing for 2 years. In that time I have set goals for myself that I feel have given me the drive to become a successful fly fisherman. This past Sunday I achieved my most recent goal of catching the daily limit of 5 fish,on my favorite local stream, Nine mile creek. I arrived around 6am with my brother to find the water higher than normal and murky. I knew fishing would not be easy but I am not one to give up. I went to a spot that I know always holds fish. There is a seam about 2ft wide by 20 ft long.I tied on a big black bead head stonefly. It took quite a few casts to get my first fish. It was between 13-14 inch Brown. After that I kept getting fish on till I caught 5. I was thrilled because prior to this my best was 3 fish in one outing. Also I lost a couple but that's ok. For me this is a major accomplishment that I'm proud of. The next goal I want to reach is hook and land a salmon. I have caught two steel head. Last fall I hooked up many salmon but they kept getting off the hook. I think I wasn't setting the hook good enough. We will see what this year brings.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 21, 2015May 21st, 2015, 11:37 am EDT
Welcome to the site, and congratulations on your first time catching your limit!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply