Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Minamarcos
Minamarcos on Jul 2, 2015July 2nd, 2015, 8:09 pm EDT
I am starting fishing.What kind of fishing rod should I buy? Probably will go try it in redondo betch or malebo . thanks
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 2, 2015July 2nd, 2015, 11:17 pm EDT
Hi Minamarcos-

Welcome aboard. You may need to provide a bit more info. For example, will you be saltwater beach flyfishing, or river/stream flyfishing, or lake flyfishing, etc? Also, what type and size of fish will you be targeting?

Best regards,
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Bugchuckin
Bugchuckin on Jul 11, 2015July 11th, 2015, 5:17 am EDT
Ok. I am also new,and need help in rod choice,so here it goes....freshwater,small sometimes tight streams,and Brooks. Stocked and native trout.
Bugchuckin
Bugchuckin on Jul 11, 2015July 11th, 2015, 5:19 am EDT
Size of trout varies from 4" to 18". A lot of fast water,and very rocky
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 11, 2015July 11th, 2015, 7:43 am EDT
Okay, given a small tight stream, and the possibility of trout as large as 18", my choice would be a (7' to 7.5') 4 weight fly rod.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
MiltRPowell
MiltRPowell on Jul 11, 2015July 11th, 2015, 8:29 am EDT
Ok, that's sounds right, me 7'2" 5-4wt. fits the fishing when the leaves on the trees come on. I pack 2 spools , one 4wt., other 5wt. In early spring I like my 8'6" rod, just cause, I do. But I always pack more then one rod, & always a back-up reel. Your there for the fishing, not to fix something, rules go sh-t happens. More then once I have let someone use my back-up rod. I just state this for if you come to love the sport of fly fishing. You shall get goals of back-up rods,& a combat ready vest, & off you'll be hooked on the fly.......
Milt....
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 11, 2015July 11th, 2015, 12:41 pm EDT
Cabela's Three Forks 7.5-foot 3-weight. Perfect small-water rod - I fish streams from 8 to 20 feet wide with LOTS of overhanging trees and alder bushes and etc. as well as ponds and smaller lakes. This rod is NOT expensive, currently on sale for $41.99:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Fly-Fishing-Rods%7C/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/105573780/Cabelas-Three-Forks-Fly-Rods/734547.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffly-fishing-rods%2Fcabelas%2F_%2FN-1102568%2B1000002949%2FNe-1000002949%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105573780%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

I have been a fly fisherman for 30 years now and this rod satisfies me as to casting ability, both distance and accuracy. A friend with hardly a few years behind my longevity on a fly rod (and far more experienced in other techniques, e.g. indicator nymphing) complimented my casting on this little stick, and I've landed/boated some outsized fish for such a light rod (18-19.5" smallmouth, 18" largemouth, and 18" brown trout).

A 4-weight as Roger recommends will enable you to throw larger and more weighted flies. If you happen on a 7.5-foot 5-weight (had a Redington 7.5' 4-5 weight many years ago) you can throw bigger heavier flies still (even #6 bass bugs!). For dry fly/lightly weighted streamers and etc. as I fish, a 3-weight is perfect and makes those smaller fish feel bigger and the big fish feel enormous!

Tight lines to you all,

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply