Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Troutnut has attached this picture to this report. The message is below.

Report at a Glance

General RegionFinger Lakes
Specific LocationI won't tell if you won't
Dates FishedAugust 22, 2006
Time of DayEvening
Fish Caught4 largemouth bass, 6 bluegills
Conditions & HatchesOne of those beautiful sunny August afternoons, the kind that screams America like baseball, apple pie, and a largemouth bass.

Details and Discussion

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Aug 21, 2006August 21st, 2006, 6:08 pm EDT
Today I met Shawnny3 from this forum and his dad to do a little bass fishing. I think it was the first time I've ever fished for largemouth bass with a fly (though I've caught plenty of smallies).

I had hoped to finally get to test the 7-weight Scott S3 I got this past winter, and I brought it along. Or so I thought. I had it sitting in the corner of the porch along with my 9-weight, and I stupidly grabbed the tip from one and the butt from the other and headed out! Thank goodness my 5-weight lives perpetually in my car, so I had a backup when I got to the pond and found my rod didn't fit together. Now I have to find another excuse to properly break in the 7-weight... it will be my main rod for the fall runs, but I hope I don't have to wait that long!

Anyway, the little pond (so small you could cast to the middle from anywhere around it) did not disappoint. The bass seemed to really like the Dahlberg diver, and I caught two on it and missed a few others. (I also missed both the ones I caught at least once.) One that I landed was a nice 17 inches or so, just like another one which spit the hook about half an hour later.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Oct 11, 2006October 11th, 2006, 9:40 am EDT
Just found this, a few months after the fact. Nice picture, Jason. It was a fun time, and I'm really glad you got into a few decent bass. I hope we get to do it again sometime, possibly in PA. Maybe next time we go it'll be my turn to catch a fish!

Take care,
Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply