Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Kbbgood
Steelville, Mo.

Kbbgood on May 28, 2014May 28th, 2014, 1:30 pm EDT
I need to get a 7 WT. rod and am looking at the Three Forks rod only cause I won't be using it that much compared to my 5 weights. I WOULD usually be getting a better rod but just don't think I need to with a 7 wt. Does anyone know how fast they are and will they handle the SA streamer lines?
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on May 29, 2014May 29th, 2014, 7:59 am EDT
Kb, welcome to the TN forum. Sorry but I have no experience with those rods. I don't even know who makes them.
Stokes
Columbia county,NY

Stokes on May 29, 2014May 29th, 2014, 2:14 pm EDT
I have a Three forks in 3wt,but its a mid flex.I like it,casts well.
Kbbgood
Steelville, Mo.

Kbbgood on May 29, 2014May 29th, 2014, 4:51 pm EDT
See the thing is I already have a Sage RPL 690 as well as an XP 590 and a 586, a VPS 586 a LL 4711 a SPL 383 and a TFO 6 ft. 2wt. I wouldn't even think of a cheap rod but getting older now and I don't know how much I will use it any more. Thats why I am looking at the Three Forks rod.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 29, 2014May 29th, 2014, 5:31 pm EDT
I don't have the 7-weight but I have owned the 7' 6" 3-weight and 8' 6" 5-weight for many years now. Being what you might call a "budget angler" (i.e., I don't have a lot of $$$), they have been my primary rods. And I can honestly say, as someone who has been throwing flies for 29 years now, they work surprisingly well for the price, and you sure don't fret too much if you break one (been an issue for me at various times...). I can cast a good long way with them, accurately in tight situations, and fish sure feel good on them. What's not to love for the price?

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply