Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 4 pictures. The message is below.
18-incher - swallowed a bluegill hooked on a Woolly Bugger
16-incher - took a "froggy popper"
Secluded woodland pond
Hidden treasure
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Sep 15, 2010September 15th, 2010, 4:53 pm EDT
Sometimes, you don't have to go far from home to find an "undisclosed location" where you can have solitude, natural beauty, and big fat fish!! In addition to these two, I also caught another bass in the 12" range on the "froggy popper" and around 30 bluegill, mostly in the 5-7" range, several of which were attacked by bass of this size!!

Due to the obviously brushy nature of this location, I am forced to use a short little fly rod. Previously it was my Cabelas Clear Creek 7' 3-wt., which has been replaced by a Cabelas Three Forks 7.5' 3-wt. One might not think a three-weight appropriate for big fat bass, but the evidence indicates otherwise...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Sep 16, 2010September 16th, 2010, 2:26 am EDT
Jon,

That first fish is nice! It looks really healthy.

Good work there mister!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Ditch
Ditch's profile picture
Fuquay-Varina NC

Ditch on Sep 16, 2010September 16th, 2010, 3:31 am EDT
has any else used a clear creek 1 wt cabelas I have one and just love it caught several bass on it just have to be careful working him in has a slower action than my 3wt and both are 7ft. cabelas is making some good all be it replaceable rods I also have their 8.5 5wt and a 9ft 5 wt as general rods i like them better than my orvis rod and don't sweat if i get in to something bigger than thy can take. picked up all 3 in the harrisburg bargain room by luck,

Phil
There are no bad fishing days.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Sep 16, 2010September 16th, 2010, 3:43 am EDT
Nice bass but am kind of curious as to why you've not removed the shrink wrap plastic shipping wrapper on the cork grip? That is there only so people won't get their grimy paws all over the cork before the rod is sold.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Sep 16, 2010September 16th, 2010, 5:46 am EDT
Matt,

I think Jon's trying to keep it in a pristine state as he possibly can before he sells it to you to add to your other 2.5 million other rods you own...:) If he had left the price tag on it we could of called it the "Minnie Pearl" edition...the MP3...Now I'm reaching, eh!?

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Sep 16, 2010September 16th, 2010, 6:03 am EDT
Guys, that is now my "Lucky Bass Rod"...And I must chuckle, Matt, that you commented on the plastic wrap on the cork grip instead of the nice big fat fish...????? Hey man, it keeps the floatant, fish slime, etc. from soaking into the cork!!! Besides, one of my other Cabelas Three Forks rods had the glue that holds the cork rings together come loose and then the rings separated...These are not expensive rods; the one in the picture cost me all of $50!! And no matter what I do to it they will replace it for up to two years (have already done so a few times with my 8.5' 5-wt. - also a terrifric rod for the $$$). Let me put it this way: if I bought one of those new Sage bass rods for $395 instead, would this bass have grown a couple of inches?? I think not...

Beware, ye bucketmouths, the Basswhacker strikes again!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Sep 16, 2010September 16th, 2010, 9:44 am EDT
Nice fish and pics, Jonathon. Looks like a really nice spot.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Pryal74
Pryal74's profile picture
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Sep 20, 2010September 20th, 2010, 3:31 am EDT
Nice fish, and pretty location. Jmd123, I just got my new Sage Rod, it's a Flight 7 Weight, 10 foot and it's amazing, but yes other rods will do. I used it twice since I got it a few days ago. I can easily feel every strike etc, it's the nicest rod I have ever owned or used. It also has the lifetime warranty. Already brought in some largies and smallies with it. It's so much fun taking bass on a topwater with fly rod! Good work!
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Sep 24, 2010September 24th, 2010, 4:08 pm EDT
James, I have used Sage rods in the past, and they are really, really sweet. They do cast beautifully. They are, however, well out of my price range! At least as a biologist who has been largely unemployed as of late...though that may be changing soon. One can never have too many fly rods, and if you can afford it, buy the best. As a budget angler, I do try to make the most of my $$$, and as a veteran angler, I'm quite surprised and pleased with some of these realy inexpensive rods I have used lately. However, I'll have to treat myself to a "high-end" rod one of these days (I am only about 15 minutes from an Orvis shop) just to see how I cast with them instead. For me, the biggest difference would probably be in casting distance for lake fishing - I like to be able to cover as much water as possible while fishing from shore or dock, where I frequently find myself, as there is a lake about 2 1/2 miles from me right here, you've seen the pond, and I have friends who live on a lake about 40 minutes from me. Big fat bass have risen for me from each!!

Tight lines and dancing bass to all,

Jonathon
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Sep 24, 2010September 24th, 2010, 4:10 pm EDT
P.S. Got my eye on the new Orvis Clearwater 7' 4-pc. 4-wt. - perfect for the pond shown above!!! And, only $198!! After a couple of weeks of work, I can afford that!

JMD
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Sep 25, 2010September 25th, 2010, 10:10 am EDT
Nice looking bass (and pond)-thanks for the report.

I've been on the local bass ponds a lot lately-they're going crazy for big (#4) hopper patterns all day, it's more fun than any guy has a right to.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply