Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Zipper
Church Hill, TN

Zipper on Jul 7, 2008July 7th, 2008, 2:39 pm EDT
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and would appreciate some advice. I am currently in the market for a 4,5,or 7 piece "travel rod" in 4 or 5 weight. I have looked at the cabelas stowaway 5 piece and the Bass Pro Shop Hobbs creek brand oufits. Has anyone had any experience with either of these? I fish mainly the tail waters of East TN and the Smokies. Thanks in advance for the help.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 7, 2008July 7th, 2008, 7:12 pm EDT
Zipper, try the Cabelas Three Forks 4-piece rods. I have their 4-piece 8 1/2-foot 5-weight (old version, moderate action) and I love it - especially since I only paid $55 for it (two years ago - it's now $60-65, but check their website since they're having some sales including reels and lines, you can get a good deal on a whole outfit). I have been a fly rodder for 23 years and I can really throw well on this rod - it has a little extra snap when I go to shoot line that lets me really punch them out there. They've apparently updated the action to moderate-fast and I haven't tried the new ones yet, but for the price the rod that I have is a rediculously good deal. If I were you I would try to handle one before you buy it to see just how it feels to you, depending on what kind of rod action suits you best.

Hope this helps!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply