Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

FisherOfMen
FisherOfMen's profile picture
NY

FisherOfMen on Dec 8, 2012December 8th, 2012, 3:16 pm EST
It's been awhile since I've had the opportunity to be on Troutnut, or even fly fish... the price to pay to be in the U.S. ARMY

So I graduated as 11C Infantry and I'm going to Korea in January, which gives me 28 days to fly fish here in New York.

I live 1.5 hours from the Salmon River, where I hear there's some pretty good winter steelheading. If anyone has had any experience or info on Winter Steelheading, esp. in the Salmon River I'd like any and all tips you can give me b/c I'm a complete newbie! Thanks!
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
GldstrmSam
GldstrmSam's profile picture
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Dec 9, 2012December 9th, 2012, 8:01 pm EST
Hi FisherofMen,

It's great to see you back on here for a while. I was just wondering the other day where you have been.
I'm sorry that I don't have any help for you. I just want to say best wishes to you, your fly fishing, and your deployment.

Samuel

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
FisherOfMen
FisherOfMen's profile picture
NY

FisherOfMen on Dec 12, 2012December 12th, 2012, 9:08 am EST
Thanks, Sam

But not to worry, I think I'm actually going to stop resisting the cold, lay the fly rod to rest... and pick up the ol' scattergun to track down some birds this time around :)

Hmm... I wonder what kind of flyfishing there is in South Korea. I did a little research and they have some native "Cherry trout" at least.

We'll see!
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Dec 13, 2012December 13th, 2012, 6:59 am EST
If the weather stays warm, you might want to put in a day on the river. December is the month when steelies are apt to make a big showing. Fish an active fly and start casting before you get in the water. They lay right along shorelines as well as "out in the middle".

Quick Reply