Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jjlyon01
SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse

Jjlyon01 on Oct 16, 2007October 16th, 2007, 1:02 pm EDT
Hi my name is Jamie Lyons Son of Todd Lyons (Flyfisher066). I go to SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry and I'm studying Conservation Biology in hopes to be a Fisheries Conservation Biologist. I have just started a fly fishing club at my school to teach those the art and promote it where ever possible. I have plans of having casting and tying classes, speakers and trips, and a lot of community service. If anyone has any ideas or contributions they would like to give me it would be much appreciated because I could use help getting the TroutBums:Flyfishers of Syracuse on it's feet. Thank you.
"I now walk into the wild"
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Oct 16, 2007October 16th, 2007, 9:07 pm EDT
Good luck with it. :) You're in a good area and there are lots of people on this site from around there -- Ithaca, Cortland, etc. I just moved away from Ithaca in June.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Oct 17, 2007October 17th, 2007, 11:49 am EDT
Welcome, Jamie. I am from Ithaca originally and actually almost went to SUNY ES&F at Syracuse (a mouthful, to be sure) about 15 years ago for Paper Science. Starting a new club is ambitious - I've so far resisted the urge to start one at the high school I teach at because I just don't have the time. Good luck to you.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Flyfisher06
argyle ny near saratoga

Flyfisher06 on Oct 17, 2007October 17th, 2007, 1:40 pm EDT
Hey Jamie, glad you decided to join us here. You will surely find alot of good advice here and alot of interesting writings.It's also a great place for a dad to keep in touch with his son.Congratulations and good luck with the club! Dad
IF I am not flyfishing or bird hunting I must be doing something bad like working !!
Jjlyon01

Jjlyon01 on Nov 13, 2007November 13th, 2007, 2:19 pm EST
The club seems to be going very smoothly for me as a freshman. There is a lot of interest and we have about 15 members as of now after only 2 meetings. We are planning a clean-up(and fishing trip) to the Salmon River for right after winter break and also our first casting clinic will take place around the same time. Thanks for all the support guys and for the donations. I am very glad to see everyone helping a fellow fly-fisher.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 17, 2007November 17th, 2007, 5:26 am EST
Best of luck, Jamie. I applaud your efforts with the club and your field of study.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Psyfly
Wellsville, NY

Psyfly on Nov 18, 2007November 18th, 2007, 5:42 am EST
15 members already, very nice. An old friend received his Ph.D. from there about two years ago. Good luck. email me if you need anything.
"If I might be judge, God never did make a more calm,quiet, innocent recreation than angling" Isaac Walton
www.tierneysflies.com
Jjlyon01

Jjlyon01 on Jan 16, 2008January 16th, 2008, 5:08 am EST
Hi Guys,
Hope you enjoyed your holidays and have tied up some great flies. Now that I am back at school I am looking for some input and ideas for the club from anyone who wants to contribute.
I am looking forward to setting up a casting clinic and a tying clinic, however I have a very small budget ($0) and I am not the most proficient at either. I have a man from a local fly shop (Troutfitters on Erie Blvd in Syracuse) that is willing to assist with the casting clinic. As per the casting I am not sure if one man a bunch of beginners will be enough. Also, does anyone think there is a better time of year to hold the casting clinic. I want to hold it before trout season reopens, but I don't think the weather will hold up for it.
I have never been to a tying clinic and I am deffinently not a good tier and need to learn myself so I really can not teach others how to tie yet.
If anyone has any ideas to lend me they will be greatly appreciated, I am also still looking for a good service project in the Central New York region so any ideas there will also be great.
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Jan 16, 2008January 16th, 2008, 9:20 am EST
get thee to TU (trout unlimited) or FFF (Federation of Fly Fishers) because it occurs to me that a member might be able to give you all a talk about the local streams and what you might find there. perhaps the gent who offered to do the casting clinic could do the same thing. just an idea, because i think it's a bit chilly for casting. when i was really new, it helped to be pointed at the right streams with the an idea of what flies might work.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Jan 16, 2008January 16th, 2008, 9:20 am EST
and TU always has conservation projects that you might join until you can find your own.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Uvabobby
Uvabobby on Jun 20, 2010June 20th, 2010, 8:17 am EDT
Is your club still active?

Quick Reply