Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Chris_3g
Chris_3g on Mar 9, 2009March 9th, 2009, 3:32 am EDT
Join us for the 17th Annual Ithaca Fishing Day, Saturday March 14th from 9 AM - 4 PM, hosted by the Leon Chandler Chapter of Trout Unlimited! Ithaca Fishing Day serves as the Chapter’s primary fundraiser, but we also use it as an opportunity to inform the community about who we are and what we do. The primary event location is in the Boynton Middle School cafeteria with fly casting lessons being held in the gymnasium or outdoors, weather permitting.

Volunteers will be providing fly casting lessons beginning at 11 AM, and fly tying instructions all day! At 11 AM, a couple of the Chapter members will give an introduction to fly fishing presentation, and at 1:30 PM, DEC Aquatic Biologist, James Everard, will discuss how to ID fish in our region.

You can also try your luck at the many bucket raffles we'll have going throughout the day! Common items up for grabs are fly tying materials, books, and basic tackle. For our big raffles, we have a fly rod / fly reel outfit and a limited edition print.

We also have a number of regional vendors, both for fly tackle and for conventional tackle, to stock your tackle box before the start of the fishing season!

Admission to the event and all of the programs are free, but donations are most appreciated. Please visit our website, Leon Chandler TU, and download “IFD 2009 Poster” for additional information. Thanks a lot and hope to see you there!

Quick Reply