Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Ukfb1
kentucky

Ukfb1 on Dec 9, 2009December 9th, 2009, 7:21 am EST
As with my introduction, new to fly fishing. Tying knots seem to be a pain in the you know what in cold weather. Add to that eyesight of a over fifty year old guy, it is a little frustrating. Has anyone had good luck with the Davey knot.
Tilman
Gemany

Tilman on Dec 9, 2009December 9th, 2009, 6:08 pm EST
I suspect that you are referring to the knot that ties the fly itself to the leader ?

I use the grinner knot for years and i am satisfied with it and i think, i can tie it blind eyed, too.

Warm Gloves will help, though. I was at our club pond yesterday and had my fleece fingerless gloves with me and my fingers were really warm.

(By the way, i was really successful -> 7 Carp, what a way to end the season. I guess that was was the best end result i could get in just 2 hours)
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Dec 13, 2009December 13th, 2009, 9:57 am EST
UKFB1,
I think you are referring to the not extolled by Davey Wotton. I have not personally tried it however I will frequently use a two wrap improved clinch when midging (primarily a cold weather affair for me) with good result. I have landed some very healthy fish without significant knot failure rates.
If JAD catches this post he would be better able to comment on the specific knot you cited as I know he has experimented with it while winter steelheading. I just can't remember his results. Better yet shoot him a PM.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Sayfu
Sayfu on Aug 16, 2011August 16th, 2011, 1:51 pm EDT
Here is my two bits advice...learn to tie but a few knots and tie them well. I fish lots of days during the season, and basically tie two knots..the blood knot and the clinch knot UNIMPROVED. Once in a great while I will tie on a new leader, and use the tool to tie a nail knot. Why the unimproved clinch knot tying the fly to the tippet? It has been tested stronger than the improved, and I can tie it easy with very little left over to trim off allowing me to tie a lot of flies on one tippet before I have to add new tippet to my leader...threw the eye, twist, twist, twist, twist, twist, and hold the end just barely throw the bottom opening, and pull it up tight wetting the knot. Realize that using a trout rod you seldom can exceed 2 lbs of pressure playing a fish with a bent rod. What diameter of tippet is 2 lbs or less? I can't remember ever breaking off a fish using this knot..I break it off when I straight line to a snag wanting to break the knot but never playing a fish. Same with the blood knot. I can tie it with less left over to trim, and use up my up-leader taper like I would if I used a surgeons knot that has a lot left over. Realizing how much pressure you apply with the rod reduces the need for a lot of knots, and discussions on what knot is stronger..consider how much leader you have to trim off is more important.
Bug_slinger
Bug_slinger's profile picture
Calgary, Alberta

Bug_slinger on Mar 24, 2012March 24th, 2012, 10:20 pm EDT
I use the improved clinch or duncan loop knot(bead head) for fly to tippet and havn't had a problem. I connect tippet to leader with a blood knot or double fishermans depending on type of fishing im doing. Leader to flyline with a nail knot.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 26, 2012March 26th, 2012, 6:53 pm EDT
I've had excellent luck with the Davy knot. Just be sure the hook wire is not significantly larger than the tippet.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply