Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Ov10fac
Ov10fac on Mar 20, 2020March 20th, 2020, 3:25 am EDT
I have been making my own furled leaders for a few years. I love the way they fish and its a fun hobby. But I would like to make some multi-colored leaders, specifically some with bright color sections to use as strike indicators. I have made a few by adding a second color to the leader in the following way.
Lay down the left and right loops leaving the last loop #3 in a five step leader empty. I now have loops on the board with the following count. 3.5 and 2.5 loops on both sides. I then tie the bright color to the right loop with a simple overhand knot, make the 1.5 loops and tie in to the left loop with another overhand loop.
This seems to work OK, but the knots seem to create some issues at times. I have alos used a similar technique, but instead of tying in to the loop, I add the high vis section to the beginning and simply create the last loop and secure to the right twisting hook.
As I said, both seem to work, but I think there might be a better way that I just havent figured out yet, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 20, 2020March 20th, 2020, 6:10 am EDT
See messages.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply