Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Outdoors198
Outdoors198 on Feb 28, 2015February 28th, 2015, 7:16 am EST
I'm interested in trying furled leaders. Im curious as to people's experiences with them both in moving and still waters; nymphing/wet flies and dries. Thank you!
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Feb 28, 2015February 28th, 2015, 9:18 am EST
Outdoors-
There were quite a few threads and posts on this subject some years back, just click on Fly Fishing Gear and sort through the history.
I've been furling my own leaders for a while now and personally prefer them to mono types; no curlicues, they lay out flat on a cast and they're limp as all-get-out to let the leader and tippet straighten out with less drag. Google the topic and you'll get a lot of sites and a lot of information, formulas for lengths and tapers, etc. to play with.
Shorter leaders around 7-9' with built-in indicators work well for nymphs and I've furled some 12-14' ones with proportionate tapers for dry flies on smooth water. It just takes the required setup on the furling board (and sometimes a longer board, mine is able to furl leaders up to 16').

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Outdoors198
Outdoors198 on Feb 28, 2015February 28th, 2015, 9:35 am EST
Thanks. I did a search after I posted my question and I've been reading other posts. I really appreciate your information.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 28, 2015February 28th, 2015, 3:29 pm EST
Roguerat, what are you using? I had used Unithread but the new Veevus thread is much stronger.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Roguerat
Roguerat on Mar 1, 2015March 1st, 2015, 3:22 am EST
Louis-

I use these 4 as the basis for leaders, favoring the Coats and Gutermann: Berkley XL 2# test, UNI-Mono Clear Monofilament in fine and medium, Coats Transparent in 'smoke' color, and Gutermann Invisible Thread also in smoke. I draw the finished leader through a block of softened beeswax as floatant, never have any problems keeping them on top.
I also use a 'tippet base' of 3X on the end of a furled leader, this gets sacrificed bit-by-bit as I change tippet..saves the end of the leader from being nibbled away.
For a nymphing leader I use Berkley ICE Line fluorocarbon in 1# test, roughly equivalent to 6X material. I'm getting away from in-line indicators and using Lightning Strike 'football' indicators more lately, in the smallest available.

Roguerat
Outdoors198
Outdoors198 on Mar 1, 2015March 1st, 2015, 10:25 am EST
I built a jig last night and made my first thread furled leader using 6/0 uni thread. I'm quite thrilled with the ease of it and the fun. It turns over so easily just using my hand I can't wait to see it in action. I used these directions: http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/may2006/185
Roguerat
Roguerat on Mar 1, 2015March 1st, 2015, 11:46 am EST
Outdoors-

Cool! You're getting familiar with peg-placement, loop-count, and all the other stuff.

I joined the Furled Leader Forum a couple+ years back, you can find them at furledleaders.proboards.com.

These guys are REALLY into it and the information runs from the basics to mind-numbingly esoteric- take your pick. It's all good, just a lot of it.

Remember- if one leader is good then more are better...and too many is just enough.

Roguerat

Roguerat
Roguerat on Mar 1, 2015March 1st, 2015, 12:09 pm EST
Addendum to the furled-leader thread: I saw some commercially-made furled leaders at Cabela's yesterday and was dumbfounded at a) how loosely they were furled, and b) the cost...$ 8.50 on clearance!?
Outdoors198
Outdoors198 on Mar 1, 2015March 1st, 2015, 1:17 pm EST
Something I am curious about is how to figure out your number of twists if you want to build it using the drill rpm/stopwatch method. Anybody know how to do it? Thanks!
Outdoors198
Outdoors198 on Mar 1, 2015March 1st, 2015, 1:18 pm EST
Thank you roguerat I'll have to check them out!

Quick Reply