Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Feb 6, 2017February 6th, 2017, 1:34 am EST
I'm delving into leader/tippet setups for SH fishing this winter and wonder if any TN's have experience with a double-blood knot for tying dissimilar diameter lines. One of my setups is a 10' level leader of 10# fluoro stepping down to 3' of 3X fluoro tippet using a swivel for the attachment point. I'd like to simply knot the materials as an option and the double-blood comes up often as a strong and simple knot.

This is a really new ballgame for me, and a really steep learning curve...switch rod, learning spey casts, and not nearly enough time on the water for things to come together. I tried the 'chuck 'n duck' a few times and its just not for me, either.

Tight lines,

Roguerat

'less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Roguerat
Roguerat on Feb 6, 2017February 6th, 2017, 1:37 am EST
steelhead knots, addendum-

I should have clarified that as the IMPROVED double-blood knot where the smaller diameter line is doubled then knotted per usual.

Roguerat
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 6, 2017February 6th, 2017, 4:24 am EST
Rogue,

I address this issue in one of two ways; My preferred method to attach dissimilar diameters of tippet is to attach a tippet ring to the actual leader and then attach the tippet to the other side of the tippet ring. Tip; if you decide to go this way don't make the mistake I did the first time I used a tippet ring. They come ten in a package and normally are strung on a large snap swivel or a safety pin.

Do not take one off the snap swivel or safety pin until you have tied the end of the leader to one side of the tippet ring. Then open the snap or safety pin and remove one tippet ring and tie the tippet on. These rings are so small that if you take one off the snap or pin you just won't be able to hold it and still put the leader end through it to tie the knot. They come in two sizes 1.5 mm for trout and 2.0 for steelhead or bass. They are virtually weightless and I even use them on my dry fly leader/tippet set-ups. The weight of the ring won't break the surface tension.

The second method I would use if I lost all my tippet rings would be to employ a double, or triple surgeons knot. I have had much more success with this knot than trying a blood knot for significantly varying leader and tippet diameters.

I am sending you a PM with a link to an Ebay seller. Great price, ten for $2.25.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Roguerat
Roguerat on Feb 6, 2017February 6th, 2017, 4:38 am EST
Matt-

Thanks for this advice, I pretty much figured you'd be the first to supply experience!

When using surgeon's knots I've had some problems with the tippet exiting the knot at a right angle, and I think I'll have to do some armchair practice on these.

Do you ever use the swivel vs. a ring? Just curious, as a good number of the 'swinging streamer' topics I've found seem to use a swivel.

The latest issue of AA has an article on egg-stealing minnow patterns, and I'm going to do some tying based on these. Sort of an egg-sucking leech crossed with a Muddler or Zoo Cougar, see what happens.

tight lines,

Roguerat

'less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 6, 2017February 6th, 2017, 1:16 pm EST
Rogue,

When using surgeon's knots I've had some problems with the tippet exiting the knot at a right angle

Duh!! What was I thinking??? Not thinking I guess. I use the tippet ring for all my trout fishing but when I steelhead fish (I rarely swing because the streams are just too small) I use micro swivels made by Spro or Raven. They are super small! sizes are as little as 5/16" long and up to about 7/16" long.

When I fish the Erie creeks and streams I fish one of two ways; either I use two nymphs, swivel, a split shot, and an indicator or I use a bare hook, a trout bead, a swivel, split shot and an indicator.

I tie a micro swivel to a 7 1/2' leader then a tippet to the other end of the swivel, then a short piece of 3X to the upper end of the swivel onto which I attach my split shot, EDIT;then the 4X tippet on the opposite side of the swivel, then the fly or trout bead. If the split shot get snagged often the shot will pull off of the short piece of 3X and I don't lose the fly or the trout bead and hook.

I'll send you a link to buy the micro swivels.

Kilocharlie
Left Coast, North America

Kilocharlie on Feb 10, 2017February 10th, 2017, 10:04 am EST
Roguerat- I do not like the double blood knot because it is too easy to goof up when tightening it. I'm using the Albright knot, and am pleasantly surprised with it's strength and ease of tying.

Lubricate your leader and tippet before tying all knots.

When diameter difference is rather extreme, I'll tie a double leader using the Albright knot. Be careful with the doubled section, making sure it wraps up in a neat stack. Do not jerk, or even tug suddenly nor too hard to tighten. Tighten the knot in slow motion to avoid building up heat.

The tippet-to-hook knot I've preferred is the double perfection end loop, so the fly swings somewhat freely on the tippet.

Double the line, make the first loop, position the hook / fly in the 2nd loop, pass the third loop between the other two loops, tuck the fly or hook on the second loop through the first loop and tighten slowly and carefully, adjusting the loop size to about 2-1/2 times the size of the hook eye, then complete the tightening just snug. You can leave it a tiny bit loose and put 5-minute epoxy on the knot for very nearly 100% knot strength.

It is stronger than the Palomar knot, the Trilene knot, the clinch knots, the double turle, and the snell knot. That it allows more fly movement is the big advantage, especially when using bunny leeches girdle bugs, or marabou streamers while deep dredge T-14 rigs in fast current.

To learn the Spey roll cast, draw in some line to about 2-1/2 times the rod length, lift as much line as you can pick up on the backward sweep, pause until the rod loads up (you should feel it tug at least slightly), then go with the forward cast, stopping a bit before your point of aim - the rod will do the rest of the aiming! Experiment with where the stop is supposed to be through several different degrees of angle (the "clock face" in side view). You'll begin to get it. A big "D-loop" with little line in the water is good, a small "d-loop" with a lot of line in the water is bad.

If using a sink tip, stack the sink tip maybe 10 to 15 feet in front of you, the rest bent out in front of that, then back to you. Again, not more than two and one half times the rod length at first. Lift up the line and begin our backward sweep until HALF the sink tip comes out of the water (mark it with a permanent marker when you figure out the exact spot). Pause for the load-up, and go with the forward cast.

There are 7 casts used with the Spey rod, you will probably use the roll cast the most. The upper hand is always the downwind hand - you'll learn to cast either side. Some casts are considered "not" true Spey casts in some literature, but they are useful.

Read www.speypages.com/speyclave/82-spey-basics/14702-spey-basics

Best of luck.
Sharpen your hook. Check it with a 20X magnifier. Always use a new tippet.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 11, 2017February 11th, 2017, 2:37 am EST
I'll tie a double leader using the Albright knot

Not the easiest knot to tie while standing waist deep in the river.
Powderfinge
Powderfinge's profile picture
3 corners

Powderfinge on Feb 12, 2017February 12th, 2017, 9:07 am EST
Use a 40# spro swivel on the endof the leader.
double imp. clinch on both ends! the swivel really helps eliminate line twist. speeds retying time drmaticlly!
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Feb 15, 2017February 15th, 2017, 9:47 am EST
Rogue,

When using surgeon's knots I've had some problems with the tippet exiting the knot at a right angle

Duh!! What was I thinking??? Not thinking I guess. I use the tippet ring for all my trout fishing but when I steelhead fish (I rarely swing because the streams are just too small) I use micro swivels made by Spro or Raven. They are super small! sizes are as little as 5/16" long and up to about 7/16" long.

When I fish the Erie creeks and streams I fish one of two ways; either I use two nymphs, swivel, a split shot, and an indicator or I use a bare hook, a trout bead, a swivel, split shot and an indicator.

I tie a micro swivel to a 7 1/2' leader then a tippet to the other end of the swivel, then a short piece of 3X to the upper end of the swivel onto which I attach my split shot, EDIT;then the 4X tippet on the opposite side of the swivel, then the fly or trout bead. If the split shot get snagged often the shot will pull off of the short piece of 3X and I don't lose the fly or the trout bead and hook.

I'll send you a link to buy the micro swivels.

Think I could get a copy of that link as well if you dont mind? sounds great, Thanks :)
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 16, 2017February 16th, 2017, 5:31 am EST
Okay, here it is. They come in four sizes, small to 4X small.

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Raven-Micro-Swivels
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Feb 16, 2017February 16th, 2017, 5:44 am EST
There are a number of high quality high break strength swivels out there now. They are really tiny. Spro make quality stuff.
Roguerat
Roguerat on Feb 16, 2017February 16th, 2017, 5:50 am EST
Matt-

thanks much for the link to the swivels, I need to try these next time out. There are steelhead-specific commercial furled leaders with a swivel built in, that is another clue to their efficacy for streamer use.

tight lines, all, and we're looking at near-record high temps in W MI this coming weekend, good time to be on the water!

Roguerat
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Feb 25, 2017February 25th, 2017, 11:31 pm EST
Thank you Sir :)

Quick Reply