Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Shawnny3 has attached these 8 pictures. The message is below.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jul 16, 2012July 16th, 2012, 6:32 am EDT
I took my 5-year-old son out with me recently, and while we were fishing, a guy with a fancy camera started taking our picture. Turned out he was Gary Cameron, a photojournalist from Reuters in town for the Sandusky trial. He was trying to find something to do in his spare time, so he decided to hit a local stream and take some photos. He did a great job of capturing what it's like to be with my son on the stream - as a father, these will always be a treasure to me.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Flatstick96
Flatstick96's profile picture
Flatstick96 on Jul 16, 2012July 16th, 2012, 6:58 am EDT
Fantastic pictures. I love Em's hat. :)
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jul 16, 2012July 16th, 2012, 8:35 am EDT
Just Wonderful.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jul 16, 2012July 16th, 2012, 8:59 am EDT
Just added the rest of the pics (some with actual fish in them!). I think my favorite one is the last one. When Em fishes, he always takes that very stick (his "rod") with him, and splashes it in the water ("fishes" with it) while I'm fishing with my rod. Then, on the way home, he puzzles over why I was able to catch fish on my rod but he was unable to catch any on his. Still, he never gets discouraged, and just keeps bringing the splashing stick time after time.

There's a bit of a sad story with the hat. The last time he went fishing with me, he and his brother tromped around so many paths in the woods that by the time I realized he wasn't wearing his hat, neither of them had a clue where he'd left it. We looked for it for awhile, but trying to retrace the steps of a 5-year-old over a two-hour period (every place we went he said, "I think I left it here, dad") is pretty difficult to do. So we lost it. I'm glad I have these pics, though, to remember what he looked like the first times he went fishing with me.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Flatstick96
Flatstick96's profile picture
Flatstick96 on Jul 16, 2012July 16th, 2012, 9:11 am EDT
Your last paragraph reminded me of those old Family Circus cartoons:

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jul 16, 2012July 16th, 2012, 9:43 am EDT
Excellent photography! Looks like a good fishing trip too.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jul 16, 2012July 16th, 2012, 11:59 am EDT
Well done Dad!
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jul 16, 2012July 16th, 2012, 12:56 pm EDT
Wonderful additions! What a nice thing to have had an accomplished photographer there.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 16, 2012July 16th, 2012, 1:52 pm EDT
Great photos, Shawn. Thanks for sharing them.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jul 16, 2012July 16th, 2012, 5:30 pm EDT
Looks like a good fishing trip too.

Same fish caught over and over. Stupid fish.

Excellent photography!

Yeah, I don't know what camera and lens he was using, but he obviously knew what he was doing with them. I'm amazed at the resolution when you look at them full size. In one photo, you can make out what kinds of knots I used in my leader. I was fishing a two-fly rig, a size 22 and a size 24, and if you know what I like to fish, in two different images you can make a pretty good guess as to which pattern each of them is. Not wanting to interfere, he was standing probably twenty feet away when he took the pics. Very impressive work.

Your last paragraph reminded me of those old Family Circus cartoons

Spoken like a father who's been there.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Ditch
Ditch's profile picture
Fuquay-Varina NC

Ditch on Jul 16, 2012July 16th, 2012, 7:20 pm EDT
Nice.

Philip
There are no bad fishing days.
Pryal74
Pryal74's profile picture
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Jul 16, 2012July 16th, 2012, 8:25 pm EDT
It's so wonderful to see those photos. They really capture what it's all about!
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Jul 17, 2012July 17th, 2012, 6:17 am EDT
Cool pictures, Shawnny. There's a lifetime of memories in those photos. I loved the hat, too. You gotta' get him another one.
Bruce
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jul 17, 2012July 17th, 2012, 10:02 am EDT
And that is what it is all about in the end. A father and son sharing a passion and each others company!!!!!!

"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jul 25, 2012July 25th, 2012, 6:35 am EDT
Wonderful photos Shawn! I'm up on Beaver Island in northern Michigan and took my wife out in a row boat yesterday on one of the lakes here. She caught her first Bluegill on a fly rod.

I love that "classic" angling attire you have on there! :) Can't beat summertime.

I was thinking that your son's "stick" could well be a hockey one soon and he'll be banging it on a harder surface. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to bang my rod on the water or throw it in to the trees! :)

Thanks for letting us tag-a-long!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jul 25, 2012July 25th, 2012, 8:19 am EDT
Thanks, guys. Glad you enjoyed the pics. Congrats to your wife, Spence - first fish on a fly rod is a special thing.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Jul 28, 2012July 28th, 2012, 7:08 pm EDT
Shawn,
Nothing like being with family, especially your son-or grandson. You can tell both of you are having a great time. It brings back many memories of my son and oldest grandson, Cody.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html

Quick Reply