Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This discussion is about the Neversink River.

Neversink Gorge (Wolf Brook) in New York
You've really got to see this one full-size to enjoy it.  It's my first attempt at a 360 degree panorama stitched together with the latest and greatest version of Adobe Photoshop.

From the Neversink River in New York
Neversink Gorge (Wolf Brook) in New York
The Neversink River in New York
Mtvernon
Mtvernon on Oct 17, 2017October 17th, 2017, 10:58 am EDT
Back in the late 60’s thru 1978 we fished the lower Nerversink at Oakland Valley. Caught a number of nice browns and rainbows. Idea to fish the area came from Ray Bergman. In his book Trout he mentioned fishing in Oakland Valley by the bridge. Now I think a new bridge crosses over to a camp ground.
Beautiful water but probably all private today. Never made it up to the gorge area.
Any update would be fun to read.
Thx.
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Oct 23, 2017October 23rd, 2017, 11:08 am EDT
Yes he does mention it; wouldnt it be cool togo back in time and see/fish that stretch of the river during his time and still be able to fish it today to compare? I wonder if the fishing was better? My guess would be no due to stocking efforts and more of our brethren practicing catch and release; no doubt that the area would be less developed though.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Nov 1, 2017November 1st, 2017, 8:04 am EDT
I have never fished any part of the Neversink. I can remember driving across it on Route 17 on my way to the Willowemoc and Beaverkill from 1965 until 1984 but I kind of knew then that access was difficult and most of the water below the reservoir didn't hold many trout.

I do know a fellow now who lives over on the east side of the Hudson who fishes the Gorge a couple of times every spring because there is a very Hendrickson emergence there. He has told me often how it is quite a hike just to get down into the gorge and very tiring to get out after a long day of fishing.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Nov 1, 2017November 1st, 2017, 10:50 am EDT
True that!!
Davem
Davem on Dec 14, 2017December 14th, 2017, 7:56 am EST
It seems a lot of folks don't do that well in the gorge however it is a really beautiful place. I think around the YMCA camp would be good. I stopped by and talked to the people there and thought about joining up.

Quick Reply