Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionCentre County
Specific LocationWhere Louis sometimes fishes
Dates FishedMarch 08
Time of Day9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Fish CaughtWild brown trout - eight all on Walt's Worm or #18 BH Flashback PT.
Conditions & HatchesThought I'd see a bunch of fish rising to Baetis but was not so forunate.

Details and Discussion

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 8, 2010March 8th, 2010, 12:16 pm EST
Saw some bugs but maybe just fifty all day - looked to be about a #18. Never saw a single rise but talked to some guys who saw numerous fish rising. Creek is very low for early March - only 84 cfs. High sticked all day easy to get hung up even with no lead just BH's. Had to use one of them dadblasted Thingamabobbers to keep my fly from getting all gunked up.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 10, 2010March 10th, 2010, 3:54 pm EST
Matt, I headed up today and there were a few fish rising in spots. Some said it was better last week, and others said it's just spotty. I think the hatch will actually become more consistent in a week or so.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 10, 2010March 10th, 2010, 10:59 pm EST
How did you do? Do you agree the creek seemed very low?
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Mar 11, 2010March 11th, 2010, 2:01 pm EST
Hard to believe that with the melt we've been having the water is low. Perhaps the next 10 days of solid rain will change that. Man, I wish I could get out. Glad to see someone is...

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 12, 2010March 12th, 2010, 2:13 pm EST
It had been low last week, then Monday or Tuesday it started to rise, probably due to the snowmelt Shawn mentions. By Wednesday it was up to typical levels, I think, or near. Then today when I went up it was up and a little stained. Each day I landed about 5 on olives and 2 on various nymphs.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 13, 2010March 13th, 2010, 11:06 pm EST
This morning it is up to 900 cfs.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Mar 14, 2010March 14th, 2010, 1:51 am EST
Yikes. Maybe I won't go fishing today, after all. I don't mind a little color in the water, but I also don't intend to die on one of the more demure streams around. Thanks for the heads-up.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 14, 2010March 14th, 2010, 6:23 am EDT
If water is down to 200 cfs by early morning Thursday I'll likely be on the road 7:00 a.m.

Quick Reply