Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on May 27, 2010May 27th, 2010, 10:22 am EDT
My trip to the Adirondacks this summer is getting delayed from the usual mid-June date to early July now, and I'm wondering what that's going to do to the fishing. Will there being any water cool enough to fish up there? I'll be within easy range of the West Branch of the Ausable, Boquet, Saranac, and the lakes of the High Peak regions (I'll be staying in Saranac Lake). I don't want anyone to give up secret spots or anything, but just in general, is there any good trout fishing to be had up there that late in the summer?- I'm also up for going after stream smallmouth if the trout are off, so any suggestions in that department are good too.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
Flyfisher06
argyle ny near saratoga

Flyfisher06 on Jun 6, 2010June 6th, 2010, 4:30 am EDT
I live near the Battenkill and ussually fish it all summer long I only stop if the water gets too hot and poses a treat to the fish but thats ussually not the case all of those rivers are within a few hours of my house so if you will be up on a weekend maybe Ill join you and you are also welcome to spend some time with me in the Battenkill Todd
IF I am not flyfishing or bird hunting I must be doing something bad like working !!

Quick Reply