Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 10 pictures. The message is below.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Feb 25, 2011February 25th, 2011, 2:21 pm EST
Took a nice long walk behind my new place with a camera today and this is what I saw...

Sure as hell beats living in the city.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Feb 26, 2011February 26th, 2011, 3:06 am EST
Jonathon, how about the third week of Sept? just let me know the exit number and if i can bring anything!:-) just kidding--but it sure looks good to this city dweller. thanks for posting!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Feb 26, 2011February 26th, 2011, 3:53 am EST
CaseyP, you are welcome to visit any time you like! I even have a guest room with a bed already in it for wayward troutnuts. Bring a flyrod in the 8-9 weight range in case the salmon start coming back and even if they don't there's walleye, smallies, and possibly pike in there too. Oh, and maybe a nice bottle of port or sherry since I'm done with the vodka...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Feb 26, 2011February 26th, 2011, 6:08 am EST
Hi Jonathon,
Wonderful photos. They really give you a sense of the place. It looks as though you are getting adjusted just fine. Keep us posted. I want to see more.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 26, 2011February 26th, 2011, 8:26 am EST
Very nice! I'm jealous of the liquid water.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 27, 2011February 27th, 2011, 1:14 pm EST
Hey Jonathon,

Nice photo's!! Cool place to live... I think those swans agree as well. How far are you from the holy water?

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Feb 27, 2011February 27th, 2011, 3:29 pm EST
Kurt, I'm on the lower end of the river, well below Foote Dam and only a few river miles up from Lake Huron. It's steelhead water, used to be salmon water before the run collapsed in the last 10 years (hopefully they will come back some day). There are also smallmouth & walleye in there - one day about 12 years ago while snorkeling on the job (when I AM working, it can be a blast!) I saw a 2-foot walleye with a 15-16" smallie sitting right next to it on the bottom above a sandbar...plus there's probably some pike in there (maybe even a muskie???), and I have read some big catfish too (I have caught at least one of those on my KBF so who knows). Likely a few lake-run browns find their way in there during the fall as well.

With regards to the "holy water" it is a ways upstream from me, but I suspect I could be there in an hour or less. However, a tributary to the Au Sable system, the Pine River, is right up the road from me about 10-15 minutes away and it has brookies and browns, and it is not well known or popular (or canoeable I believe), so I'll probably spend a considerable amount of time exploring that stream. Plus the Rifle, with which I am very familiar and which is also "the road less travelled", is also about an hour away and has great hatches from the opener to almost October, and is even open right now for steelhead as well. Too many places to go! Not to even mention Tawas Bay, Van Etten Lake, Cedar Lake...

You know, when I think about it, I hope my job WON'T really be full-time! Sure as hell not this bug work, otherwise I'm going to have to hire a full-time chiropractor!

Jonathon
Pryal74
Pryal74's profile picture
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Mar 1, 2011March 1st, 2011, 7:57 am EST
Great photos Jonathon! If you have some time, you could go wrestle in a big Steelie. If you venture out, please let us know how you do. What a great place, within walking distance too? That's phenomenal!

Quick Reply