Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Grammotaulius betteni (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This is a striking caddis larva with an interesting color pattern on the head. Here are some characteristics I was able to see under the microscope, but could not easily expose for a picture:
- The prosternal horn is present.
- The mandible is clearly toothed, not formed into a uniform scraper blade.
- The seems to be only 2 major setae on the ventral edge of the hind femur.
- Chloride epithelia seem to be absent from the dorsal side of any abdominal segments.
Based on these characteristics and the ones more easily visible from the pictures, this seems to be Grammotaulius. The key's description of the case is spot-on: "Case cylindrical, made of longitudinally arranged sedge or similar leaves," as is the description of the markings on the head, "Dorsum of head light brownish yellow with numerous discrete, small, dark spots." The spot pattern on the head is a very good match to figure 19.312 of Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019). The species ID is based on Grammotaulius betteni being the only species of this genus known in Washington state.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

AllanM83
AllanM83's profile picture
Austin, TX

AllanM83 on Feb 11, 2019February 11th, 2019, 4:35 am EST
Hi everyone,
I've been reading your folks forum for quite a while, but only now I feel I am ready get serious about fly fishing. Before, I used to go with my friends and used stuff I was given or something I rented. Now, I've got a rod by Fierce, and I need to find a nice reel for it. When I was researching the topic, these 2 seemed to be okay (based on the youtube and Amazon reviews):
Wright and McGill - https://www.amazon.com/Wright-McGill-667593-Dragon-WMEDFSLA56/dp/B004QHHB5K
Okuma - https://www.recreationid.com/okuma/okuma-slv-fly-reel-501265324.html
Now, before I go and buy one, I wanted to ask you please say, what do you think of these 2 and which one would be a better one for a newbie like I am?
Thanks!
AllanM83
Austin, TX

AllanM83 on Feb 11, 2019February 11th, 2019, 4:35 am EST
ALso, forgot to mention, I am open to the alternatives, my budget is $100. Thank you!
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Feb 11, 2019February 11th, 2019, 5:05 am EST
Between the two, I'd probably go with the Okuma. They're pretty durable and reliable.

Before you pull the trigger though, I'd take a look at the LL Bean Quest (comes in 3 sizes, pick the one that matches the line weight of your rod) and the LL Bean Pocket Water (only comes in one size for 5 weight lines and smaller). Both are currently on deep discount sale and well within your budget. More importantly, Beans has excellent customer service and stands behind their products. I've had a lot of their merchandise from rods to reels to waders and have never been disappointed.

Just a thought..
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 11, 2019February 11th, 2019, 10:23 am EST
I trust Lee's judgment and were I in the market for a reel, I'd take a good look at the LL Bean products. I'm using their waders now, having switched from Simms. (The Bean waders are roomier, easier to get on and off, and my experiences with their customer service is the same as Lee's.) I currently fish an Okuma Sierra for small streams on my lighter rods, and a Lamson Radius for bigger streams and rods. Neither reel is state of the art, but they work for me. I've had the Okuma reel about fifteen years. If you want some more options, you might check Sierra Trading post. They sometimes have good reels discounted. That's where I got my Lamsons, many years ago.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on Feb 11, 2019February 11th, 2019, 11:15 am EST
I have seen the Wright & McGill Dragon. Looks really nice for that price, but looks aint everything. As for it's performance, I have no clue.

Okuma has proven to be a good quality reel. And for $100 budget, you'll do fine with an Okuma.

I can't say personally about what the others say about LL Bean products, but from what I have heard, Martin and Lee are saying what others are saying. I have not heard one bad opinion about LL Bean. And I have heard a lot.
Jawyellowba
Jawyellowba's profile picture
Jawyellowba on Feb 11, 2019February 11th, 2019, 7:57 pm EST
I have seen the Wright & McGill Dragon. Looks really nice for that price, but looks aint everything. As for it's performance, I have no clue.

Okuma has proven to be a good quality reel. And for $100 budget, you'll do fine with an Okuma.

I can't say personally about what the others say about LL Bean products, but from what I have heard, Martin and Lee are saying what others are saying. I have not heard one bad opinion about LL Bean. And I have heard a lot.

It'll work, but I'd rather just spend the extra 10-15 bucks and get the Penn Battle.

Check my blog
AllanM83
Austin, TX

AllanM83 on Feb 11, 2019February 11th, 2019, 8:02 pm EST
It'll work, but I'd rather just spend the extra 10-15 bucks and get the Penn Battle.

I trust Lee's judgment and were I in the market for a reel, I'd take a good look at the LL Bean products.

Thanks for mentioning them, man, I'll see what they've got. If no, I'll pick the reel by Okume then. I appreciate your help and am glad, that I posted my question here.
Cheers!
Passivetune
Passivetune on Feb 17, 2019February 17th, 2019, 6:25 pm EST
A closed face reel could solve your problem I have Daiwa BG Spinning Reels
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Feb 18, 2019February 18th, 2019, 2:49 am EST
late to the party but for what its worth,

I've been really impressed with the Lamson Liquid reels on my switch rods, the 3.5 was $99.00 for my Redington Dually 4 wt and the 4.0 was $ 129.00 for my Cabela's LSi 7 wt so at (or above) the top of your price point but these reels have some pedigree behind them.
I know the drag isn't needed all that much on trout-sized reels but the Lamsons have a well-deserved reputation for GOOD drag systems if its ever crucial...tying into something you weren't planning on.

just my $.02....

Spring Fever in full swing here, counting the days to The Opener!

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 18, 2019February 18th, 2019, 10:28 am EST
Hello Passive,

A closed face reel could solve your problem I have Daiwa BG Spinning Reels

Normally a fly fisherman wouldn't be putting a closed face spinning reel on a fly rod. If he did then it really won't be fly fishing in the sense where you use the weight of the tapered fly line to propel you weightless fly to some spot you want to place it on the river.

I'm not saying I haven't seen a closed face spin reel on a fly rod because I have seen some guys fish worms, minnows, and grubs on a long fly rod and a spin reel. But this web site is pretty much dedicated to fly fishing with a fly rod, fly reel, a fly line, and flies. But you are more than welcome to stay and chat with us if you want to learn something about fly fishing or aquatic insects.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 20, 2019February 20th, 2019, 7:06 am EST
Matt, that's an unusually kind response to a clueless comment. Cake for breakfast? Or perhaps you were being ironic.

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 20, 2019February 20th, 2019, 10:27 pm EST
Hello Louis,

Matt, that's an unusually kind response to a clueless comment.

Well I'm practicing to be a moderator! No just kidding. I wanted to show my kind and gentle side to all you guys who consider me just one step removed from a Neanderthal regarding tactful comments.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Feb 21, 2019February 21st, 2019, 3:04 am EST
"I wanted to show my kind and gentle side to all you guys who consider me just one step removed from a Neanderthal regarding tactful comments."

This is not what I think of you at all, Matt. I just know for a fact you don't suffer fools gladly. Neither do I!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Pinfishing
Pinfishing on Mar 30, 2020March 30th, 2020, 3:40 am EDT
I spent a lot of hours trying different cheap fly reels and my personal best is MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch ECO. it is perfect for beginner anglers and price is very good compared to the quality.

As for Okuma it is also very good choice for novice
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 31, 2020March 31st, 2020, 2:59 am EDT
Pinfishing wrote;

I spent a lot of hours trying different cheap fly reels and my personal best is MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch ECO. it is perfect for beginner anglers and price is very good compared to the quality.

As for Okuma it is also very good choice for novice

Thank you for this glowing comment on that reel. Per chance do you sell or distribute them?
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Mar 31, 2020March 31st, 2020, 10:08 am EDT
Im just gonna ahead and be blunt here, yea a flyreel is basically a line holder, but I like nice made in America line holders, made by nice Americans! There are some nice line holders made over seas, just not in China! There are also many older line holders made in the usa or England, on ebay. My advice to real novice fly anglers is save up and by the nicest rod and reel you afford. You some brand names, okay, how about Ross reels made Colorodo, Galvan reels made California, nautilus reels made in florida, and there are more, all made by American, who actually fly fish and love it. Im glad I finally got this rant in, but jeez we have to start being smarter about the stuff we buy. I know there are many who disagree with my feelings, and god love it were a free country at least for now, but we have to take of our own.
Just my opinon.
Mike
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 31, 2020March 31st, 2020, 10:32 am EDT
And Lamson, Mike. My main reel is an old Lamson, and I'm partial to it.

--Fred Chappell
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Mar 31, 2020March 31st, 2020, 11:34 am EDT
Yep, Martin, Lamsons are great reels! Just sitting here I thinking I forget Lamsons, Douglas argus, and Im sure others. Also there are some nice off shore reels, some are really nice, for instance Hardys, and the one reel I would really like to get for Cbarclay 4/5 weight glass rod a Kinyea, made in Japan. Please forgive my spelling, but so many choices. Im just a home boy, born and raised in Flint Michigan, and I have lived the decline of our manufacturing base. That will never come back, but im going support small business in my country!
Mike
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 31, 2020March 31st, 2020, 11:55 am EDT
Mike wrote;

Im just gonna ahead and be blunt here, yea a flyreel is basically a line holder,

And so is a bait casting reel and a spinning reel. I think what you might be saying is a fly reel doesn't need to be fancy or need a drag?

That might be fine for guys catching 8" - 16" trout and an occasional 18" fish but if you are regularly hooking 18" - 22" wild trout and steelhead in the 22" - 26" range you are going to want a fly reel that not only holds an adequate amount of fly line and backing but one with a drag that performs flawlessly and can slow down big fighting fish.

As Louis and Mike mentioned it is hard to go wrong with any of the Lamson reels. Even the lesser priced cast reels still have their famous sealed conical drag. I have the Litespeed 1.5 and the Speedster 1.5. Both great reels.
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Mar 31, 2020March 31st, 2020, 11:27 pm EDT
Reels and cost, quality

Ditto- again- on Lamson reels; see a prior reply in this post re: Lamson's Liquid line of reels. I'm more than satisfied with these and would not hesitate to recommend Lamsons to any and all, even their cast-alum. products have the proven Lamson drag system as Matt so aptly stated.

my 2 cents, or now 4-cents?!

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe

Quick Reply