Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jgmrcrappie
Michigan

Jgmrcrappie on Aug 29, 2015August 29th, 2015, 7:53 pm EDT
I am looking for a 3 wt. I can not make up my mind. Please help me.
Sage circa
Gloomis whispercreek
Scott g2
Winston baron lll LS
MGWILD
Michigan

MGWILD on Aug 29, 2015August 29th, 2015, 9:10 pm EDT
Have you thought about Temple Fork Outfitters?

The BVK series has a really nice 3wt just food for thought.

Superior Quality at an affordable price.

http://www.tforods.com/fly-fishing/rods/bvk-series.html#.VeKQPGfu2dI
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Aug 30, 2015August 30th, 2015, 4:55 am EDT
Fake posts.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Aug 30, 2015August 30th, 2015, 8:06 am EDT
For Sale; Leonard Winston Baby Catskill Heddon 6' 6" #3 heirloom bamboo rod - a bargain at $2,500.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MiltRPowell
MiltRPowell on Aug 31, 2015August 31st, 2015, 9:35 am EDT
a bargain at $2500.00 bucks........
Really????????????????????????????.
Things that make ya say, huh.....
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Aug 31, 2015August 31st, 2015, 12:30 pm EDT
a bargain at $2500.00 bucks........
Really????????????????????????????.
Things that make ya say, huh.....

I understand where you're coming from, but value is all relative. If he said that you could turn around and sell it for $5,000, would it still make you say, huh?

That said, that's some serious coin for a fly rod.
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Aug 31, 2015August 31st, 2015, 12:51 pm EDT
I think Matt's pulling our collective legs...at least I think he is.

Fallout of the fake posts for profit thread...?!

And if its a real post then $2.5k for an heirloom bamboo rod is not unheard of, just check the sites that deal in rare fly-rods.
Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Aug 31, 2015August 31st, 2015, 12:57 pm EDT
I think Matt's pulling our collective legs...at least I think he is.

Fallout of the fake posts for profit thread...?!

And if its a real post then $2.5k for an heirloom bamboo rod is not unheard of, just check the sites that deal in rare fly-rods.

He just might be, although I would not be surprised either way.
Catskilljon
Upstate NY

Catskilljon on Aug 31, 2015August 31st, 2015, 3:34 pm EDT
For Sale; Leonard Winston Baby Catskill Heddon 6' 6" #3 heirloom bamboo rod - a bargain at $2,500.

I think he is, since there is no such "Leonard Winston Baby Catskill Heddon" :)

There are however Leonards, Winstons [but no Heddons!] that go for $2500.00 and sometimes more. A clean, original Leonard baby Catskill with the right tube, sock and ever so desirable hand written hang tag could certainly fetch that much.

Matt is a trickster, but knows his stuff. CJ
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Aug 31, 2015August 31st, 2015, 4:19 pm EDT
Wink!

I did at one time own two Leonard "Baby Catskill" 7' 2 tip fly rods. One was a #4. The first was a blond rod, serial #266, that I bought directly from the Leonard factory in Central Valley, NY when it was being run by "Hap" Mills and his partner Ted Simroe. That rod had the domed brass threaded cap, two tips and red silk wraps. I paid $200 for it brand new. I sold it for $1500 about ten years ago.

The other rod I bought used from Harry Darbee for $250. It was a flamed blank and had a slower action than the blond rod. I used it with a DT#3. I have no recollection of when I sold it nor what the price was.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply