Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Catskilljon
Upstate NY

Catskilljon on Mar 18, 2014March 18th, 2014, 6:03 pm EDT
Made famous by Ed Hewitt, and one of my personal favorites on the stream...

< />

These things are tough as nails, float great and though I don't know what the trout think they are, they sure bring them to the top! CJ
Tctrout
Tctrout on Mar 18, 2014March 18th, 2014, 6:08 pm EDT
CJ,

Nice tie, though yours always are! I like the placement on the Medalist, too.

Thanks for sharing, and I hope all is well with you in NY.

Tim Cammisa
Catskilljon
Upstate NY

Catskilljon on Mar 18, 2014March 18th, 2014, 6:13 pm EDT
Thanks Tim...you handsome devil! CJ
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 18, 2014March 18th, 2014, 7:38 pm EDT
Cool tie. I haven't used these, but I'm intrigued by the tailing method.

Hi Tim, glad to see you posting here. I'm pretty busy with school--as I'll bet you are, and haven't been posting much, but hope to see you on the J this year. John's going to be hard to keep up with after all the workouts those redfish gave him in Florida.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Tctrout
Tctrout on Mar 19, 2014March 19th, 2014, 3:06 am EDT
Martin,

It's great to talk here, too, and you always have some very informative posts. My school year is going well, and I hope yours is, too. I don't believe we got to fish together last year, so we'll have to this coming season.

I'm looking forward to seeing John, and have no doubts he'll be back in shape and ready to fish (maybe even with those HEAVY bamboo rods!).

Tim
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 19, 2014March 19th, 2014, 2:36 pm EDT
Now there's a great fly - simple, easy to tie, yet oh so buggy looking...I have a nice Whiting gold white neck, same in black, and a nice new brown neck. I can tie these by the hundreds! And I find they make a great midge imitation in the smaller sizes (#16 and below) for fish that aren't too picky. A classic that still works today!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Mar 19, 2014March 19th, 2014, 3:03 pm EDT
Jon,
That was a go to fly a few years back when I did my trip into the Bob Marshall Wilderness. The tough part was finding hackle to tie them in a #8.
They are extremely versatile as you can fish them so many different ways and a relatively simple quick tie.
JW
Great Photo by the way.
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn

Quick Reply