Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on May 20, 2010May 20th, 2010, 2:56 pm EDT
I looking for a bamboo fly rod. Problem is, I don't have an indeterminate number of hundred dollar bills laying around. Is there any chance of finding a half-way serviceable bamboo rod for under $250? I'm willing to get a fairly heavily used rod, and I don't need an antique or a rod of excellent quality. I just want a decent looking split cane rod that at least won't cast much worse than my graphite rod. For me it's more of a nostalgia thing-I can cast just fine with my graphite rod, but I guess I've read one too many Gierach stories:)
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
SlateDrake9
Potter County, PA

SlateDrake9 on May 23, 2010May 23rd, 2010, 2:53 am EDT
Go here:

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/

Do some research before you buy. You'll be really unhappy with the results of just buying on price alone.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.
-- Slate Drake
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on May 23, 2010May 23rd, 2010, 11:40 am EDT
I appreciate the link Slate Drake.

I wish I could avoid buying on price along, but I'm unfortunately just not in the position to spend more than $250 on a rod... It's not that I wouldn't be willing to spend more, it's just that I can't.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
Tctrout
Tctrout on May 23, 2010May 23rd, 2010, 3:56 pm EDT
Motrout,

Another easy solution is to find a bamboo rodmaker in your area (Ozarks?). Let me know when you're from and I will see if I know someone in that region I can refer you to.

Being a bamboo rodmaker, there are lots of options for guys who want a rod under $500, including taking an older rod, cutting it down, and then refinishing it. The taper is now modified and weight is a null issue. Without a doubt, cast the rod a number of times (determine if it has a large or small sweet spot in terms of distance) and see what kinds of casts you're able to make with it. For that money, you'll be buying a single-tip rod, thus ensure you're buying the rod for a particular style of fishing, i.e. dry fly, nymphing, etc.

On a miserable semi-related note, I was fishing with JAD this weekend and blew-up one of my own rods on a nice fish. The rod was a Leonard taper (Catskill), and the first bamboo I had ever made; nice, huh?

TC

Quick Reply