Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Bippie
Altoona, PA

Bippie on Dec 27, 2010December 27th, 2010, 12:51 pm EST
I was just given a new fly rod by a gentleman I hardly know, met him maybe half a dozen times! He had a rod custom built for me, it looks and feels great.... can't wait to try it out.

6' 2 1/3 oz. 2-3 wt. Graphite custom(the one just given to me)
7 1/2' 3 1/2 oz. 5 wt. Cherry custom
8' 4 oz. 6 wt. Cherry custom
8' 3 oz. 5-6 wt. Graphite custom
9' 5 oz. 8 wt. Greenheart custom

4 1/2' 1 1/2 oz. 2 wt. Fiberglass Fly Atom
7' 3 1/8 oz. 6 wt. Fiberglass Fenwick
8' 2 3/4 oz. 6 wt. Graphite Fenwick
9' 3 oz. 5 wt. Graphite Redington

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 27, 2010December 27th, 2010, 1:23 pm EST
You must have a charming personality!
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Dec 30, 2010December 30th, 2010, 8:54 am EST
Matt you and I have only meet once, so which rod are you going to give me .I hope it"s a Sage.

Your waiting friend
John

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 30, 2010December 30th, 2010, 10:55 am EST
Hello JAD,

"Matt you and I have only meet once, so which rod are you going to give me .I hope it"s a Sage."

Huh?? What's this about giving you a rod?? Was I FUI (fishing under the influence)at the time I said that?

Where did we meet that one time? On the LJ? Please refresh my memory. Do you want to do a float in 2011?

JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Dec 30, 2010December 30th, 2010, 11:29 am EST
Matt
You made me laugh, I have the same problem with gorgeous women but never with fishing pals. Ya on the j I looked over and said your Matt and I thought your jaw would fall off. You said do I know you, we talked about fishing the J.

About the float that's a long drive for me, I'm thinking about taking the small trailer and float boats picking up our buddy Louis and heading up to the Big D , If we do we will be sure to contact you.

Best
John

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 31, 2010December 31st, 2010, 7:56 am EST
Hi John,

"I looked over and said your Matt and I thought your jaw would fall off."

Yes, I remember now, I was really surprised when you called me by name.
I just thought you recognized me because I'm such a well known fly fisher!

Louis has my cell # I think. If not PM me and I'll send it to you. Most of the time I'm up there Tuesday - Thursday in May and June.

Quick Reply