Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Benjlan
Benjlan's profile picture
Cedar Rapids lowa

Benjlan on Feb 20, 2011February 20th, 2011, 1:25 pm EST
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone here fish with vintage rods. I've been fishing with Lamiglas fiberglass rods(new), and love them, so I thought about the old ones as a possibility. I just recently picked up a couple of Fenwick fiberglass rods, wow these are a dream to cast. One is a 8ft 6wt and the other is a 7ft 5wt. So what are your old favorites?

Ben
Shanti
Sweden

Shanti on Feb 20, 2011February 20th, 2011, 5:24 pm EST
A good friend gave an Fibatube rod.
The length is 8'-8'5'' and it throws WF-lines #5-6.
Awesome rod.

It needs a facelift though, and it will get one.
Somewhere, right now, a fish is rising.
And you´re at the computer..
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Feb 21, 2011February 21st, 2011, 2:26 am EST
It's neat the fiberglass has gone from coolest-new-technology to classic in such a short span. I have an old glass rod my grandfather gave me, but it's a little too big for the streams I fish now. I met a rodmaker at a recent show who specializes in custom fiberglass rods, by his account the only rodmaker left who works exclusively with fiberglass. Sadly, I can't remember his name.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
SlateDrake9
Potter County, PA

SlateDrake9 on Feb 21, 2011February 21st, 2011, 10:21 am EST
I fish almost entirely with vintage bamboo rods and a few new ones here and there. Occasionally I fish first generation graphite. Not a real big fan of vintage glass rods, but I've cast several new ones that were pretty nice.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.
-- Slate Drake
Tuna
Tuna's profile picture
Altoona, PA

Tuna on Feb 23, 2011February 23rd, 2011, 4:39 am EST
There a local company here in Central Pa, that makes fine Glass rods. Mcfarland Rod Co., is their name. They do make some graphite rods, but from what I've been told by Glass aficianados their Glass rods are awesome.

I have an old Fenwick Feralite 8.5 ft 5wt and it is a sweet rod. I love how slow the action is, especially when casting dries. I've alse been thinking about a new Diamondback Glass rod. They get great reviews from everyone I've spoken too. IMO they're a sharp looking rod as well. Black blank with dark wraps, not bright yellow/orange like most Glass rods I've seen.

McFarland Rod Co.- http://www.mcfarlandrods.com/dsp_the_rods.php
Reel men play with their flies.
SlateDrake9
Potter County, PA

SlateDrake9 on Feb 23, 2011February 23rd, 2011, 10:59 am EST
McFarland's are the new ones I've cast that were pretty nice, along with a Scott.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.
-- Slate Drake
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Feb 23, 2011February 23rd, 2011, 12:19 pm EST
McFarland

That's the guy!

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Tuna
Tuna's profile picture
Altoona, PA

Tuna on Mar 2, 2011March 2nd, 2011, 7:25 am EST
Mcfarland even rolls his own blanks. I was at the local fly shop, TCO, last weekend and they have a few of the new Scott rods. After handling one, I think I may have to get one. There are too many new products coming out that I just have to have anymore!
Reel men play with their flies.

Quick Reply