Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Whitman75
Whitman75's profile picture
san diego

Whitman75 on Apr 24, 2012April 24th, 2012, 2:20 pm EDT
I just picked up 2 fly rods at a local yard sale 2.help me.get started on a new hobby call fly fishing. Anyway I think they be to old to fish with and maybe have value I don't want to damage them being a newbie. This is a piece rod its about 8.6 ft tall and has 10 eyes. Made of like a fiberglass.
Whitman75
Whitman75's profile picture
san diego

Whitman75 on Apr 24, 2012April 24th, 2012, 2:21 pm EDT
How do I add an image on this site?
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 24, 2012April 24th, 2012, 3:34 pm EDT
Yep, sounds like you have an heirloom fly rod. Might be worth thousands of dollars. You should probably do the right thing and donate it to the American Musuem of Fly fishing.

Check out these links;

NARMCO Conolon Rods - Rodbuilding.org :: rodboard
Soon after World War II Narmco was fortunately able to introduce the first tubular fiberglass fishing rod invented by Dr. Glenn G. Havens, noted physicist and head of ...
http://www.rodbuilding.org/read.php?2,206979

Specials and Stories Staff Web Log | JP Ross Fly Rods & Co.
NARMCO never referred to its fiberglass fishing rods as "hollow" NARMCO always referred to themselves as "originator of the tubular fiberglass fishing rod"
http://www.jprossflyrods.com/staff/specials_and_stories/entry.php?id=925

Mitchell Fishing Reel Museum
NARMCO - National Research and Manufacturing Company - started production in 1946 of the fiberglass fishing rod. In 1947 full production was in progress of what would ...
http://mitchellreels.net/index.php?option=com_easygallery&act=categories&cid=572&Itemid=72

Vintage Narmco Garcia Conolon Fiberglass Fishing Rod 1950s in ...
Vintage Narmco Garcia Conolon Fiberglass Fishing Rod 1950s in Original Plastic in Sporting Goods , Outdoor Sports , Fishing , Vintage , Rods | eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Narmco-Garcia-Conolon-Fiberglass-Fishing-Rod-1950s-Original-Plastic-/260943542617
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Apr 24, 2012April 24th, 2012, 5:25 pm EDT
Thanks Matt, It wasn't until I read your post that I remembered that the first fly rod I ever cast was my dad's Conolon back in the late 50's. Now if I could just remember what the hell happened to it.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 24, 2012April 24th, 2012, 5:51 pm EDT
Think I'll start a thread "What was your very first fly rod".
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Apr 24, 2012April 24th, 2012, 6:07 pm EDT
"What was your very first fly rod".

To that I would have to reply "I can't remember". But then again I spent some time in San Francisco in the early sixties, in Haight-Ashbury of all places. Is that an acceptable excuse?

Bumped to Matt's new topic.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 24, 2012April 24th, 2012, 6:13 pm EDT
"in Haight-Ashbury of all places. Is that an acceptable excuse?"

Yes, your are forgiven, considering where you were, and what you might of done, you might be lucky to be able to still remember your name.

But what about the first rod you can remember when you had a clear head?

Quick Reply