Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Apr 12, 2008April 12th, 2008, 3:39 pm EDT
My neighbor was going through some old stuff today and showed me two bamboo fly rods passed on to him from his grandfather. I was wondering if any of you had an idea of what they could be worth.(he asked me to find out) The first rod is a southbend #25 9' 4 pc. It is in perfect shape. Bamboo is clean and all the eyelets and wraps look very good, he estimates that it is from the 30's. The other rod he feels certain is over 100 yrs old it is in pretty rough shape, the blank itself is good but the wraps need some attention. I don't recall the name but it was from a company based in utica ny(that's all i remember from from the label). Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Jeff
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 28, 2008April 28th, 2008, 12:09 pm EDT
Jeff,

The South Bend is a "production" cane rod. I suspect that the one from Utica is probably a Horrocks-Ibbotson. South Bend, Horrocks-Ibbotson, and Montague were all production cane makers. In good condition, SB and HI rods typically sell for about $50 to $150 on Ebay. They have little value to collectors, and are usually purchased by rebuilders who turn old production cane into fairly serviceable shorter rods.

Best,
Gonzo
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 29, 2008April 29th, 2008, 12:04 am EDT
They also make nice additions to someone's cabin or den walls after a little work is done on them.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Caneflyfish
Hunker Pa.

Caneflyfish on May 31, 2008May 31st, 2008, 4:34 am EDT
LittleJ,
New to this forum, 28 yr. flyfisherman......

I usually start kids/teenagers out with these types of "production" rods as I'm not too deep into money to get them a rod they can learn how to cast and fish with...... It's theirs to keep, but they're taught how to care for it so they can fish it the remainder of their lives. They listen real well! LOL

Besides, do you know how many double-takes older guys give kids that are fishing a cane rod?? Plenty! The kids get to be proud of what they own as many don't have the chance to afford one.....

If you need an honest opinion of the rods in person, I'll have to meet you on the Lil'J 1 of these days.... I'll show some of mine that I've redone.

Regards,
Canefly

Quick Reply