Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Tctrout
Tctrout on Sep 23, 2015September 23rd, 2015, 3:27 pm EDT
*I believe this is the right forum to post this to; if not, I apologize!*

I know many on this forum are in the PA area. If you can get to Spruce Creek, PA this Saturday, be sure to check out Don Ward's presentation on bamboo fly rods at Performance Flies.

Details: Don will be @ Performance Flies this Saturday at 10:00 a.m to give a demo on how to make a bamboo fly rod from a raw culm of bamboo. Plus, there will be pastries and coffee from the bakery next door. He'll also have rods to cast and fish after the demo...be sure to check this free event out!

Performance Flies is located across the parking lot from the Spruce Creek Tavern, right next door to the Spruce Cake Bakery.

TC
Tctrout
Tctrout on Sep 25, 2015September 25th, 2015, 2:29 am EDT
Correction: Performance Flies is located across the parking lot from the Spruce Creek Tavern, right next door to the Spruce CREEK Bakery.

Also, this is a free presentation...

TC
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Sep 25, 2015September 25th, 2015, 5:47 am EDT
Is that shop open to the public?
Tctrout
Tctrout on Sep 25, 2015September 25th, 2015, 4:47 pm EDT
It is now; Kevin used to be more mail order, but decided to open a fly shop that specializes in fly tying material. I would check out his website or call for hours. Though they will be open tomorrow for Don's presentation...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 26, 2015September 26th, 2015, 5:11 am EDT
Yes, check with Kevin. From what I understand in the past he was open only at specific times for walk in business. It's a great shop with some hard-to-find materials, all top quality. And Kevin has some very interesting fly patterns.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply