Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General Regioncentral PA
Specific Locationtop secret
Dates Fishedeveryday
Time of Dayany time
Fish Caughttrout
Conditions & Hatchesrainy,sunny,

Details and Discussion

IEatimago
Spring Mills, PA

IEatimago on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 12:44 pm EDT

BxRxTxK
western NC

BxRxTxK on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 1:43 pm EDT
nice dude...
cant wait to come back up...
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 2:13 pm EDT
Great looking water, is it private? Also pretty wild brown and what appears to be a wild 'bow.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
IEatimago
Spring Mills, PA

IEatimago on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 2:43 pm EDT
the very last picture is a stretch of private water.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 2:48 pm EDT
Is it a section on Spruce Creek? I fished the lower Harpster water on Spruce about five years ago with my wife. It was fun but so artificial in the size and quantity of fish on such a small and narrow creek. I think I caught something like 38 fish in just 2 1/2 days and many were 15" and bigger.
IEatimago
Spring Mills, PA

IEatimago on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 4:51 pm EDT
no thats penns creek, down the road from my home.
i pretty much only get to fish penns every day because its so close to me, but i have made it to spring creek and honey creek.
i am learning more about other streams so soon i will see other areas.
i have wanted to check out the george harvey part of spruce creek for awhile, but felt that it would be over fished, thats great you did so wel i may have to go give it a whirl.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 30, 2007July 30th, 2007, 5:53 am EDT
I believe the Harpster water is private, but I've fished the Harvey water and you can have a ball there on beetles this time of year.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 30, 2007July 30th, 2007, 7:24 am EDT
The Harpster water is private but if you have the loot you can book two - three day excursions with an outfitter. If anyone wants to know the web site PM me.
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Jul 30, 2007July 30th, 2007, 9:51 am EDT
If your going to make a trip to the harvey water wait till fall or some rain, which ever comes first. As of last sun. it was very low.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 30, 2007July 30th, 2007, 4:40 pm EDT
Jeff, I hadn't thought of that as I haven't been up this summer. That sounds like good advice given how little water we've had recently. Thanks for following up.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
BxRxTxK
western NC

BxRxTxK on Jul 31, 2007July 31st, 2007, 4:13 am EDT
I'm gonna be taking a fall trip up that way myself...
any pattern suggestions that I should tie to get my wallet ready in the meantime???

thanks

---------------------------Buddy
IEatimago
Spring Mills, PA

IEatimago on Jul 31, 2007July 31st, 2007, 5:31 am EDT
trico's 20-24, slate drake #12
blue quill #18 little blue dun #20
little bwo 20-24 brown caddis #14
midges and your nymphs, buddy after bethlehem i have to go to kentucky, ill be back by the end of the month
then the nsf bbq is sept 7,8,9, in b.more i dont know if im going for sure but if you want you can roll with.
otherwise we can stay here and just fish.
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Jul 31, 2007July 31st, 2007, 2:04 pm EDT
don't leave home without some isonychia nymphs 10-14
jeff

Quick Reply