Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

IEatimago
Spring Mills, PA

IEatimago on Jun 15, 2007June 15th, 2007, 6:00 am EDT
just wanted to say hello to everyone as i am new to this forum, and feel so lucky to have found it. i am very exited about the amount of information i am about to intake, and wanted to thank you all for sharing stories,tips,and general discussion.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 15, 2007June 15th, 2007, 9:24 am EDT
Welcome! Good nickname. :) Have you seen this shirt?

http://www.cafepress.com/troutnut.13579652

Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jun 15, 2007June 15th, 2007, 12:56 pm EDT
Better yet.. Have you eaten many imagos? :)
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jun 17, 2007June 17th, 2007, 1:00 pm EDT
John,
I can't speak for IEatimago, but I've managed to accidentally choke down a few over the years. Tricos go down pretty easily, even in quantity, but brown drakes bring on some serious gagging. This has served to reinforce a very old lesson, but one that I've had great difficulty learning, at least with any permanence--to keep my mouth shut! Oh well.... :O
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jun 18, 2007June 18th, 2007, 1:30 pm EDT
I can't speak for imago's however I know perlids go well with a nice aged burbon or a peaty 8 year old single malt. ;)

Culinarily yours,
John
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
BxRxTxK
western NC

BxRxTxK on Jul 1, 2007July 1st, 2007, 5:27 am EDT
hey Ieatimagos had a great time hitting the penns with you last week...
cant wait to make another trip up your way...

Quick Reply