Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Aug 1, 2019August 1st, 2019, 9:11 am EDT
Ok So I know nothing about western Mayflies, shoot, I hardly know anything about any mayflies, but anyway, I am looking for some insight in separating out D. grandis grandis from D.grandis flavitincta and Drunella grandis ingens. Especially the subimagos. The only literature I have on it only has separations for the imagos ( Allen and Edmunds 1962) and they use forewing coloration. Any ideas?
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Aug 1, 2019August 1st, 2019, 12:42 pm EDT
I'm not aware of any source on that after Allen & Edmunds. I have a few more recent papers pertaining to Drunella, and none of them get into the subspecies of grandis at all.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Aug 2, 2019August 2nd, 2019, 2:36 am EDT
I'm not aware of any source on that after Allen & Edmunds. I have a few more recent papers pertaining to Drunella, and none of them get into the subspecies of grandis at all.

Thanks Jason, that's all I could find as well.

Quick Reply