Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

NSteel
La Crosse WI

NSteel on Dec 9, 2008December 9th, 2008, 9:20 am EST
I will be spending some time in the Salt Lake area during the month of March...hopefully finding time to fish while there. I have done a bit of research on areas/rivers to fish and was looking for input on flies I should be tying and stocking up on. I am assuming it will be mostly nymphs and streamers during this time of year. If anyone has some good patterns to recommend I would appreciate it.
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Dec 9, 2008December 9th, 2008, 12:03 pm EST
check this months fly rod & reel. I've never been there so that's about all I got for you.
jeff
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Dec 12, 2008December 12th, 2008, 4:43 pm EST
I've been out once and fished the Provo River for several days. It isn't real far out of SLC, maybe 90 minutes or so. Unless things have changed, the Provo is mostly a brown trout river. I fished it in August and it fished pretty well. I've not been out there to fish in March, but this guy has and he says it's worthwhile:

http://www.redrockadventure.com/fishing/Provo_River/provo_blue_winged.htm
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 13, 2008December 13th, 2008, 4:50 am EST
Flyfisherman Magazine also has an article in this month's issue that should help.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Dec 13, 2008December 13th, 2008, 8:23 am EST
thanks for the correction louis, same article wrong magazine.
jeff
NSteel
La Crosse WI

NSteel on Dec 13, 2008December 13th, 2008, 10:16 am EST
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Quick Reply