Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flyfishen24
Flyfishen24 on Dec 5, 2016December 5th, 2016, 12:50 pm EST
Ive been a rod and reel guy since I was a wee one and have been fishing for a pretty long time. I decided for this sping to take up fly fishing. Boy is there a lot books and opinions!! Ive read a few and watched some videos but haven't made the plunge to buy all the gear. I have a fish questions. One is ive been looking a spending about $150 on a half way decent rod by Orvis.Is this a good choice? I want something that will catch smaller trout and will also supplment my small mouth and largemouth bass occasionally. Would would be the right size? Also I dont want to invest in a million flys a few recomendations on a dozen or so flys to not live without. Lastly other things besides obvious net and waders and any new advice for a beginer to the sport?
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 6, 2016December 6th, 2016, 2:40 am EST
Orvis is a great company with a great reputation and you pay for that fame in every single item that they sell. Since you mentioned that you have a budget I would recommend holding off on the Orvis gear until you decide whether or not you want to go all in with fly fishing. For now I would suggest looking at Cabela's or Bass Pro for your first fly fishing outfit. You can get a 2 or 4 piece fly rod, the reel, backing, the fly line and often a leader. Many outfits should meet budget. Since you want a rod for trout and both species of bass I would recommend a 9' rod for a #6 line.

If you do a search on this sites archives you will find a couple posts about what the best dozen flies are. Most responses will be listing Wooly Buggers, Hares Ear and Pheasant Tail nymphs. Since you will be chasing both largemouth and smallmouth bass I would strongly recommend a couple #4 Clouser minnows in all yellow and chartreuse over white.

12/07 Edit;

I happened to be surfing the net just now and I saw this ad for a fly fishing combo. Here is the link;

http://www.fishwest.com/p/scientific-anglers-fly-fishing-outfit?

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Dec 13, 2016December 13th, 2016, 12:47 pm EST
I have heard good things about Fenwick Aetos fly rods and you might want to check it out. Pure Fishing acquired Hardy a while ago and supposedly the new Fenwick fly rods were part of the Hardy Greys line. It appears you can pick up the Fenwick Aetos for under $150 too.

https://www.google.com/#q=fenwick+aetos+fly+rod

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/index.php/gear-review/2016-5-weight-shootout-fly-rod-review-5weightflyrodcomparison-new-fly-rods-best-all-around-fly-rod-g-loomisnrxlp-scott-radian-orvis-helios2-hardyzephrus-hardy-wraith-sagemod-sage-bolt-loop-optistream/fenwick-aetos

Flyfishen24
Flyfishen24 on Dec 15, 2016December 15th, 2016, 5:40 am EST
Thats the exact one two other people recommended at the fly shoppe. Thank you for all the tips. Also to everyone out here. Im humbled by the willing and helpful advice that Ive received on this forum..! :-)

Quick Reply