Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

GaryO
Roseville, CA

GaryO on Jun 22, 2015June 22nd, 2015, 9:46 am EDT
Greetings; this morning, what I was looking for was opinions about Fenwick HMG/Aetos fly rods. Specifically, the HMG763-4 HMG 7'6" 4 piece 3wt rod. I am fairly new to fly fishing and am looking to buy my first UL rod. I will be fishing the alpine country for small brook trout and maybe some goldens. All this above 8000 feet. I have fished Fenwick rods most of my adult life and believe they offer quality rods at a fair price. What say you? Thanks...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 22, 2015June 22nd, 2015, 5:02 pm EDT
Not familiar with this rod, but if you can, go to a shop and ask to cast it. If it feels right to you and you can cast well with it, nobody can make a better recommendation. Best of luck.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jun 23, 2015June 23rd, 2015, 3:41 pm EDT
My guess is it's a fine rod. Agree with Martinlf that you should cast it, if you can. But... short rods, under 8-1/2ft, don't require the very best in graphite technology to be nice crisp casters. Over 8-1/2ft and the better the graphite (and usually more you pay) the better off you are.

Quick Reply