Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

GaryO
Roseville, CA

GaryO on Jul 10, 2015July 10th, 2015, 8:07 am EDT
I have have the chance to purchase a used Powell Timax 893-4. Can you folks comment on this makers quality? Thank...
MiltRPowell
MiltRPowell on Jul 10, 2015July 10th, 2015, 7:35 pm EDT
Hello Gary, Look them up , Powell rods have been around awhile. I have one made by Walton E. Powell & that rod always stays with me. Plus soon I hope to be getting one more. Have had my eye on it. W.E.P.rod. I know other men that fish Powell rods here in N.Y.S.And one or two that sold there rod & later wished they did not. So look them up, ck-um ,
try-um. May just be a good value for you. I'd fish anything Powell fine built in any grade on rods.
But that's just me pal... good luck at pick-in a rod. It can be hard ta find the rod that fits your needs, harder ta find one you love.
Milt.
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.

Quick Reply