Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 29, 2013November 29th, 2013, 3:45 pm EST
Bad news for those who fish Spring Creek:

http://blog.pennlive.com/pa-sportsman/2013/10/invading_new_zealand_musnails_discovered_in_spring_creek_near_beaver_stadium.html

By the way, 409 is not necessarily effective.

http://www.stopans.org/Formula_409.htm

6 hours in the freezer will kill them for sure.

Please share this info. with others who fish Spring Creek.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Nov 29, 2013November 29th, 2013, 5:29 pm EST
if it's all the same, i'll still use 409 to get the schmutz off, and then freeze. guess a brisk brushing wouldn't hurt either.

a couple of practical questions: do we dry before freezing? what happens to Gor-Tex and its cousins if we try to unfold it before it thaws out?

thanks, Louis. i'd always thought the germicidal stuff in 409 would do the trick...apparently not!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 30, 2013November 30th, 2013, 8:43 am EST
Hi Casey, When I've frozen boots, I just made sure to thaw them fully before trying to move anything. I think it could weaken or break the fabric otherwise. Drying things out beforehand would probably reduce potential damage. I haven't frozen waders, yet. The last time I was worried about them for didymo I let them dry for well over a month (during the summer) and used a different pair. When I fished out west once where mud snails were I just used an old pair of wading shoes and threw them away when I finished up. Now I'll probably be freezing things more.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Nov 30, 2013November 30th, 2013, 10:17 am EST
What next?!

Thanks for posting this Louis.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 8, 2013December 8th, 2013, 12:22 pm EST
Thanks for the information on how to treat your gear to kill the invader. Why didn't you provide info on how to get rid of the person(s) who brought them here. Now you can add NZ mud snails to the hundreds of other invasive species that are infesting the trout waters of the United States.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Dec 11, 2013December 11th, 2013, 2:30 am EST
Boots aren't the only problem. Neoprene booties and even the wader legs themselves can get infected with the spoor of invasive species. They need to be disinfected as well. Don't know why this isn't mentioned more. The cat is out of the bag in too many places now, but perhaps to protect the remaining, out of state licensees should be required to rent local wading gear?
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply