Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Firemedic
Chicago

Firemedic on Jun 2, 2009June 2nd, 2009, 8:03 am EDT
I was wondering if anyone had any info on the South platte waterton canyon area? I'm going to be in Denver for a wedding the 18th-22nd of June and would like to get at least 1 day of fishing in. I remember reading about The south platte and I can't remember where I read it so can someone help??????
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 3, 2009June 3rd, 2009, 10:13 am EDT
If you can get access to old issues of FlyFisherman Magazine, here are some references from my indexes. I'm sure there are some guidebooks to Colorado, and perhaps to the South Platte. Check Amazon. Some libraries can get things on interlibrary loan, including photocopies of old magazine articles. Try an academic library if your local one can't.

Cheesman (CO) FF 9/05
S Platte Chesman (CO) FF 9/05
S Platte Drm Strm (CO) FF 5/07
S Platte Elevnmile (CO)FF 2/07

FF just means FlyFisherman, then the month and year of the issues. Hope this helps.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Jun 3, 2009June 3rd, 2009, 11:08 am EDT
Google "fishing shops Denver" and check with them. There are alot of choices and they all should know about Waterton. My personal experience is limited since they built Strontia Springs dam. Before the dam there was a good Pteronarcys emergence about now and lots of mayflies. Now there is often little water in the stream and it can be just midge fishing. Check - http://www.dwr.state.co.us/surfacewater/watertalk.aspx or the shops for flows. I suspect there is other access to the gages. Waterton is a narrow canyon and as the flows go up the access gets tougher. Stand on a rock and cast. The catch and release section is at the top of the canyon so expect a walk (or a bike - no cars) but it is pretty flat and a nice road. I think 3 miles to the start of C&R and then another 3 to Strontia Springs dam. And bighorn sheep often on/near the road - and snakes (a native) and poison ivy (real rare before the dam). Another area that may be OK depending on the flows is the area downstream from the Kassler Bridge. Just wander downstream from the Kassler/Waterton Parking area instead of up. No sheep, never seen a snake but alot of poison ivy. Fish can move up from Chatfield Reservoir and I have seen some nice browm and holdover bows.

Have fun!

Creno
Aaron7_8
Aaron7_8's profile picture
Helena Montana

Aaron7_8 on Jun 5, 2009June 5th, 2009, 11:56 am EDT
Try rockymtnfly.com forum there is a large contigency of fly fishermen from that area of colorado on that froum.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 10, 2009June 10th, 2009, 3:10 pm EDT
Hey Firemedic, Let us know how it worked out, OK?

--Fred Chappell
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 6, 2017September 6th, 2017, 12:41 pm EDT
Here's some info on the South Platte. Google "San Juan" for more Troutnut info on it.

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply