Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Grammotaulius betteni (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This is a striking caddis larva with an interesting color pattern on the head. Here are some characteristics I was able to see under the microscope, but could not easily expose for a picture:
- The prosternal horn is present.
- The mandible is clearly toothed, not formed into a uniform scraper blade.
- The seems to be only 2 major setae on the ventral edge of the hind femur.
- Chloride epithelia seem to be absent from the dorsal side of any abdominal segments.
Based on these characteristics and the ones more easily visible from the pictures, this seems to be Grammotaulius. The key's description of the case is spot-on: "Case cylindrical, made of longitudinally arranged sedge or similar leaves," as is the description of the markings on the head, "Dorsum of head light brownish yellow with numerous discrete, small, dark spots." The spot pattern on the head is a very good match to figure 19.312 of Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019). The species ID is based on Grammotaulius betteni being the only species of this genus known in Washington state.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Oct 2, 2011October 2nd, 2011, 8:10 am EDT
So I'm studying oceanography and meteorology right now, and a point made in my ocean text had me puzzled. It mentions that cartiligenous fishes are isoosmotic with their ocean environment, but that bony fishes are constantly consuming seawater and pumping out ions to maintain a relatively low internal osmolarity. Talk about effort! It made me wonder if anyone has researched a potential evolutionary path for ocean-living bony fishes.

Outside of any evidence at all, the following would seem most logical to me: All primitive fishes (and I suppose any ocean-borne organism) initially developed isoosmotically with their environment. As ocean-borne fish migrated over time into fresher and fresher water, they adapted isoosmotically to their new environment. Then, as these now fresh-water fishes began to migrate back into the ocean, they adjusted to the now high salt concentration in their new environment by acquiring the ability to pump ions. This path would mean that bony ocean fishes are descended from fresh-water ancestors.

The simpler path, of course, involves ocean-borne fishes developing the pumps directly as a means to alter their internal osmolarity because it conferred some advantage to them. But what sort of selective pressure would result in this change is beyond me, and it would be very strange for the dramatic pumping of ions to come about without some selective pressure. I feel like this explanation is simpler only on a superficial level. I'm not sure which idea Occam's razor would discriminate against, and in the absence of anything in the way of additional facts, I'm at a loss.

I'm hoping some of you fishy folks can shed light on this for me.

Thanks,
Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Oct 2, 2011October 2nd, 2011, 11:52 am EDT
Check out this page on Google Books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=5GamlT7UCHYC&lpg=PA42&ots=BkHmX4XQTU&dq=ostracoderms%20osmoregulation&pg=PA42#v=onepage

It seems the situation is a little more complicated than you've described, but the answer to your question of selective pressure seems to be just speculation that it may have had to do with anadromous breeding.

I would also suppose that osmoregulation could have evolved in fish that lived near brackish water, especially places where rivers dump large volumes of nutrient-rich fresh water into the ocean and subsidize huge plankton blooms (a great food resource for fish) in a region with highly variable salinity.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Oct 2, 2011October 2nd, 2011, 8:54 pm EDT
Shawn,

Here's one (fairly straightforward) explanation:
http://www.ca.uky.edu/wkrec/VertebrateFishEvolution.pdf
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Oct 3, 2011October 3rd, 2011, 9:29 am EDT
Thanks, Gonzo - interesting stuff. I'd like to read what Jason intended to link to, as well.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Oct 3, 2011October 3rd, 2011, 12:53 pm EDT
Okay Shawn, I fixed it. It's a little bug in this site, apparently -- the code that parses links was messing up some of the capitalization in a case-sensitive address, so you have to just copy and paste it.

Here it is again: http://books.google.com/books?id=5GamlT7UCHYC&lpg=PA42&ots=BkHmX4XQTU&dq=ostracoderms%20osmoregulation&pg=PA42#v=onepage
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Oct 3, 2011October 3rd, 2011, 5:20 pm EDT
Fascinating link Lloyd - particularly interesting to learn that all vertebrates have the same salt content in their blood. The possible explanation for this and how the oceans got salty is very cool.

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Oct 3, 2011October 3rd, 2011, 5:24 pm EDT
BTW - Never seen it mentioned before, but it seems that the increasing salinity of our oceans is a greater threat to life than the sun running out of gas (give or take a few hundred million years or so) :).
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Oct 8, 2011October 8th, 2011, 8:25 am EDT
Thanks, Jason. Interesting stuff.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply