Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Beginner
Beginner on Sep 12, 2017September 12th, 2017, 2:29 pm EDT
First season fly fishing and I believe I may stick with it awhile.
Looking to get myself a starter rod and am looking at a 9 ft 6 weight
and am trying to decide between the hardy shadow or the fenwick aetos
Lots of good reviews on the Aetos but not so much info on the Shadow.
Is one any better than the other? the Shadow looks nicer and is a little more money but I wouldn't want to sacrifice performance for looks.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Sep 12, 2017September 12th, 2017, 5:35 pm EDT
I looked at the rod and from appearance it is very good looking. I especially like the reel seat. There is a 9' #5 for sale on Ebay for $199.00. Sounds like a great price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hardy-Shadow-9-5-WT-Fly-Rod-BLOW-OUT-SALE-Free-Fast-Shipping-HRSH030-/141676798268?epid=1034465992&hash=item20fc98613c:g:SVEAAOSw5UZY9aHs

you can Google it and see if you can find any reviews about it. Also some big fly shops do a "Best #5 fly rod" test every few years. You can review the rods in that article and pick one that suits your needs and budget.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on Sep 13, 2017September 13th, 2017, 6:02 am EDT
Both rods are owned by the same company Pure Fishing, which is based across the Atlantic. Grey's rods which are under Hardy are no longer sold in the U.S., and Fenwick has taken their place.

You can't go wrong with either one, but I have heard from others that if you break a Hardy rod, get ready to be belittled. They almost try to get out of honoring the warranty. But don't take my word for it, please find that out for yourself.

Fenwick has been around for many years, and has a huge fan base. Great quality in these rods for the money.

If you can, always cast a rod before you buy. You may or may not like what you get. But if you can't, well then I hope you make a good choice. They are both similar rods, so I think which ever you choose you should do fine if you like the action and flex of the rod.
Beginner
Beginner on Sep 13, 2017September 13th, 2017, 12:44 pm EDT
I don't have easy access to a place to try rods. I think I'll go with the Aetos mostly because of the positive reviews about it but the Hardy would have looked nice with my St. George on it.

Thanks guys

Quick Reply