Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached these 5 pictures to this report. The message is below.

Report at a Glance

General RegionElk & Twenty Mile
Specific LocationAround Folly's End
Dates FishedSunday through Tuesday 10/19 - 10/21
Time of Day8:00 - 4:00
Fish CaughtLots of steelhead
Conditions & HatchesSunday - stained and high, Monday perfect, Tuesday stained and very high.

Details and Discussion

Corey
Tampa, Florida

Corey on Aug 26, 2015August 26th, 2015, 6:37 pm EDT
All of those steelies look great, i don't how you managed to hold on to the rod for 10 smokers, let alone 20 that's truly an amazing day, im jealous lol.

When I caught my beast I think it was about 4pm in March and maybe two other people on the entire creek. Allowed me to run up and down the creek "easily" with the fish haha.

Quick Reply