Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionWisconsin
Specific LocationNorthwoods
Dates Fished08/17/2013
Time of Day7-6
Fish CaughtMusky

Details and Discussion

Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Aug 19, 2013August 19th, 2013, 5:26 am EDT
I floated a river in northern Wisconsin. I caught this fish out of my inflatable pontoon. It was a serious cluster f*ck, but the fish was safely landed and returned to the water. I had yet to break 40", this fish was 42". I was very excited! Now off to try and break 50"...

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Aug 19, 2013August 19th, 2013, 6:06 am EDT
Wow Kyle your pretty awesome! Great job of hooking, fighting, landing, and releasing a mighty muskie on a fly rod! Probably there are not many fellows on this forum that can say they hooked and landed a muskie of similar proportions out of a pontoon boat. What weight rod were you using and how long was the streamer? What color?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Kschaefer3
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Aug 19, 2013August 19th, 2013, 6:28 am EDT
Thanks, Matt! I caught it on a 10 wt with a 9-10" articulated streamer. It was a mostly white pattern with some lighter blue flash and a gray head. Unfortunately I didn't tie it, but I'm ordering some Whiting 8-11" schlappen packs soon so I can start. I may have to tie a few with flash tails before the feathers come.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Aug 19, 2013August 19th, 2013, 6:30 am EDT
WOW!!! Well done Kyle! You have officially reached "Fly Fishing Stud" status! And doing it all on your own out of a personal pontoon! Congrats! Gee, maybe I could wrangle one of those things in my little yellow banana boat...

Jonathon

P.S. I do believe that the term "cluster f*ck" is military terminology - at least, I first heard it in Army Basic Training at Fort Knox...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Aug 19, 2013August 19th, 2013, 7:29 am EDT
P.P.S. 42" is both the legal limit for musky in MI and an automatic Michigan Master Angler Award (minimum size for catch-and-release category). Just FYI... ;oD

Jonathon

P.P.P.S. Can't figure out who's grin is toothier, Kyle's or the musky's...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Aug 20, 2013August 20th, 2013, 8:27 am EDT
Awesome fish and awesome experience Im sure!! Nice job!!
Kschaefer3
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Aug 20, 2013August 20th, 2013, 9:44 am EDT
Thanks, Adirman! It definitely was an awesome experience. I suggest trying it sometime if you get a chance.

Jonathon - Not quite a stud, or master angler, just damn lucky. I only hope I get lucky again soon...but, don't we all?
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Aug 21, 2013August 21st, 2013, 3:20 am EDT
Wow! Great fish. Great photos. Great experience. Now that's living. Way to go, Kyle.
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Aug 21, 2013August 21st, 2013, 2:48 pm EDT
Atta boy!
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Aug 21, 2013August 21st, 2013, 2:58 pm EDT
WOW, that's a massive fish! Makes me think about hitting Murray Lake, just east of home here in MI, and throw some bucktails or divers...wonder if my 8-wt is up to it??!

Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Aug 21, 2013August 21st, 2013, 8:27 pm EDT
The alligator of the north woods!

Good job!

Spence

In case no one has noticed...I'm posting tonight because it is the first time I've had a good connection to the web in 21 days or so...:)

When I get back to snivel-ization I'll bring you up to date...
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Kschaefer3
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Aug 22, 2013August 22nd, 2013, 5:18 am EDT
Paul - Thanks! It's an experience I won't soon forget.

Gutcutter - What's the biggest you have caught on the fly? Ever fish musky in rivers?

...wonder if my 8-wt is up to it??!

Don't see why not, just be careful and let them run if they need to. You can catch king salmon on an 8 wt. Different type of fight, but a very strong, heavy fish nonetheless.

Spence - Looking forward to reading about it!
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 22, 2013August 22nd, 2013, 6:01 am EDT
Good work; beautiful uglymean fish!! The second photo with the bluegreen filter is especially cool.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Aug 22, 2013August 22nd, 2013, 6:59 am EDT
Kyle that's a great fish! Way to go. Looks like you had your hands full with that one.
Kschaefer3
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Aug 22, 2013August 22nd, 2013, 8:55 am EDT
Good work; beautiful uglymean fish!! The second photo with the bluegreen filter is especially cool.

Thanks! I am lucky my fishing buddy is a photographer.

Looks like you had your hands full with that one.

Very much so, both literally and figuratively. I wish there was video of me fighting and landing the fish.
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Aug 22, 2013August 22nd, 2013, 11:01 am EDT
I wish there was video of me fighting and landing the fish.

Ha! I bet. I've had some truly comical moments trying to fight and land some fish. Sometimes things just go awry.
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Aug 22, 2013August 22nd, 2013, 12:00 pm EDT
The traditional origin(s) of the name Muskellunge is from an Ojibway word,
Maskinonge- or versions thereof...they all refer to 'big ugly pike' which is somewhat appropriate given the fine choppers and malicious glare most Muskies sport.
I humbly admit the one- and only- Musky I've caught on the fly measured a full 19" when stretched. I hooked him/her in Muskellunge Lake, located near downtown Trufant, Michigan which is well-known as the Stump-fence Capital of the World. It IS on the map, and it's a nice little lake.

That is one admirable fish, again. This is inspiration to do some research and flog the water for other species.

Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'

Quick Reply