Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionWisconsin
Specific LocationNorth
Dates Fished04/13-04/14
Time of Day9 am - 8 pm
Fish Caught3 browns
Conditions & HatchesCold, "wintery mix", windy. A few tiny stones hatching, no risers.

Details and Discussion

Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Apr 15, 2013April 15th, 2013, 6:53 am EDT
I fished this weekend in northern Wisconsin. It was cold. Each week that passes destroys my spirit a little more. Oh well, Spring has to come (I think) and will just be that much sweeter!

I managed to catch a couple nice browns. I fished alone on Saturday. Got one fish around 16". I fished with a friend Sunday morning and got this fish:

A nice 15" brown. With the cold weather and spooky fish, I think the camo is key to hide me from the fish :)

My friend went off to work and I kept fishing. I got one more of similar size. All three fish came on an emerald shiner pattern fished slow and deep.

As I was waiting for my friend to get off work so we could meet back up and fish the evening, this is what I was looking at:

Weather was garbage, but you can't change that. It was still nice to be on the water and get a few fish.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Apr 15, 2013April 15th, 2013, 7:26 am EDT
Pure awesomeness. Glad to see you are making lemonade.

Winter won't give up here either. The "big one" has just arrived, expecting over 20". We got about a foot last week, which melted off fast. It's back to back cold fronts with significant snow.
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Apr 15, 2013April 15th, 2013, 9:35 am EDT
Way to go Kyle, it's good to see that fish are being caught in places other than PA.:)
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."

Quick Reply